Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is a salesman at a Lexus Dealership here in TO. Tonight he comes over in an '01 (or '00) IS300. This car is mint and might have 30,000mils on it max. We go cuisin' and grab a bite. I drove and noticed that it was a little sluggish when you step on the gas. I told him that I thought my (91 Legend sedan, auto with 145,000miles) was faster. He tells me that he thinks the IS300 is faster. Apparently this car has 215 ponies (vs TypeI 200hp) and its definately a lighter car.

We go back to get my car (only "go" mod is a K/N cone intake).

We go straight to the nearest quiet street and did a rolling start (20mph) - counted down from 3 over while talking over our cell phones and stomped on it. I pulled away instantly and kept gaining more and more ground until I found my self catching up to traffic FAST at around 90mph. We did this 3 times and each time was the exact same - My good old Legend Spanked the IS300.

Both cars had 1/2 tank of gas and he and I both weigh the same.

Tomorrow night we're gonna go find a quiet highway and try the same thing starting from 60mph. He might beat me there since he does have a 5speed auto (vs my 4speed auto), but I still have my money on the ol' Ack!!

what do you guys think??
Anyone else race an IS300 or maybe a GS300??

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
I have raced both the g1 GS300 and the Is300...no contest...go whoop some azz :D

If I remember correctly, G1 GS300 stock is 0-60 around 8.8 - 9 secs, and quarter in the mid to high 16's

The IS is in the mid seven second range, but I think the gearing of the LEgend is advantageous...especially at speed.

Sidebar:
I did an experiment because of a question brought up regarding intakes. I drove around for 3 weeks with my intake normal...(NO CAI). It sounds so good...I missed that. But over 100mph, there is not much pull...very little pedal. Now, I put my CAI back together this week, and I MUST say there is a HUGE difference...the car has much more pedal and will pull from 100 to whenever! (Now, I did this in a controlled environment...no street racing ;) ) Around town, there is more low end torque, and much more high end hp. IMHO, one of the greatest mods you can *start* with. If you havent experienced this rush..I bid you, run out now and purchase DV8's CAI or modify your existing one using my DIY details....thank yourself later :D

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice leon! I already have your instructions on the CAI mod that you posted a while back saved on my comp.

I have been planning to do the CAI mod to my car for some time now. the only problem is that a while back my passenger side front wheel well liner partially disconnected near the front bumper while I was on the highway and flipped back and got shredded by the wheel! So there is a big section of my liner now missing. I have to replace the liner so that area (where the filter would be if I did the CAI mod) isn't so exposed.

any ideas where I can find a used passenger side wheel well liner for cheap??

·
OLD SKOOL P*MP
235 Posts
me too ...

i race my buddy's 02 IS300 all the time with my 91 coupe ... beat him pretty much every time ... and my coupe has 240,000 kms on it ... and is stock as well ...

now he's gonna be terrified when my 95 coupe arrives next week ... :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
CHACHINC.....

Are you going to be driving that back?..... if so we should meet up in Calgary on your way back and have a mini-alberta meet....hehe...

·
OLD SKOOL P*MP
235 Posts
hmmmm ...

i will be driving it back ... but i don't know when yet ... and i'm thinking that i'll be going back the other way ... not through calgary ...

but i'm still liking the alberta legend meet idea ... gotta go get some more film ...

do u know other calgary legend owners ...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Re: hmmmm ...

chachinc said:
i will be driving it back ... but i don't know when yet ... and i'm thinking that i'll be going back the other way ... not through calgary ...

but i'm still liking the alberta legend meet idea ... gotta go get some more film ...

do u know other calgary legend owners ...
There are a few others here yes..... a couple of G1 owners and a few G2 owners..... I figured Calgary would be a bit of a detour..... oh well.... Maybe we will have to organize something for l8R this summer..

·
OLD SKOOL P*MP
235 Posts
alberta meet ...

sounds good ... holla back when ur ready ... i think that there's a car show in edmonton in the next month ... i'm heading to import show in vancouver ... if i can ... its on june 8th ...

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leon Millette said:
Sidebar:
I did an experiment because of a question brought up regarding intakes. I drove around for 3 weeks with my intake normal...(NO CAI). It sounds so good...I missed that. But over 100mph, there is not much pull...very little pedal. Now, I put my CAI back together this week, and I MUST say there is a HUGE difference...the car has much more pedal and will pull from 100 to whenever! (Now, I did this in a controlled environment...no street racing ;) ) Around town, there is more low end torque, and much more high end hp. IMHO, one of the greatest mods you can *start* with. If you havent experienced this rush..I bid you, run out now and purchase DV8's CAI or modify your existing one using my DIY details....thank yourself later :D
Okay, it took about a week, and one sacrificed plastic waste paper bin, but I got my wheel well liner looking like new!

I installed the CAI just as you outlined in the DIY section and it works GREAT!!!

....only thing is that I haven't pulled the ECU yet - whats the advantage of pulling the ECU? how much of a dif does it make?
I plan to do it just as you instructed (your tutorial worked so well, I'll follow it to the letter! - I'm just curious) :)

Also, how do you get at the ECU - I remember reading it somewhere but I forget where - its under a panel under the front passenger carpet or something? Anyone have any advice for me on how to do this??

Thanks Leon!!

(btw - as a tip, I used aluminum tape that I got at walmart to fasten the pipes together - I wrapped it carfully so that there was no creasing in the tape - looks great and holds really well - no ghetto looking mods here!)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
All you need to do is pull the ECU fuse for about 30seconds. It is located on the driver's side fusebox, it's a little panel there, you'll see it =)

Should Have a Label there too, look for "ECU".

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL - sounds easy enough!

Thanks FutureX

·
Registered
100 Posts
ohn yea my firends has a 01 is300 and i spank him all the time as soon as my baby shifts second im like buhbye .. but unfortunatley he is gettin a 03 5spd is300 and gettin a tbko stage 2 turbo kit for it wich is like 450 w.h.p. wich is gonna put be too shamee but oh well he is my friend so at least he wont taunt me with it lol...

·
Registered
702 Posts
i've whooped both the IS300 and the GS300 several times. the IS300 I think is just one of those fake lexuses, you know, the ones you get to say you got a lexus. i don't like the look of he IS300 and i think it just plain looks gay.

the one lexus i am hesitant on trying to take on is the GS400 or greater. those things have crazy power and a V8...so i'm pretty sure i'd lose there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts