Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will upgrading the spark plug wires on my completely stock 1990 Acura Legend 4 door do any good? I have enough wire to do the job, but I am wondering if it will benefit the engine or if it could possibly hurt something. The wires I have are Accel 8.8mm 300+ race wire with 150ohms per foot resistance. I put them on my '69 Nova with a hot coil and it really helped, but the Legend is a completely different story. Any advice?

· Registered
638 Posts
honda specifications requires less then 25,000ohm resistance so long as the wires are under 160 feet long each then it falls within specification.

Now heres the reason plug wires use resistance at all and bear with me, this gets strange.. its the the law! because your ignition system puts out alot of power, I believe somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30,000 volts, and along with that power is alot of RF and electromagnetic interference. If you ran with zero Ohm plug wires then you would cause all kinds of problems to other electrical devices.. you ever notice how running a power line to a amp alongside speaker wires can cause sound distortion? same principle but on a much larger scale.. you would be setting off car alarms and all kinds of other things. back in the day the goverment feared cars could possibly launch underground nuclear missiles in silos just from driving near them.

With what your talking about I doubt your acura legend would be blamed for the start of world war 3 but you might have some problems with your stereo system and radio and possibly components of your ecu possibly causing you to lose power, maybe not enough for you to notice though

You can actually make your own plug wires by using wire that is less in ohms, which includes just about any wire that isnt a actual plug wire since they are one of the few wires with that kind of reistance. the difference between actual aftermark plug wires is that they use more insulation and silicone around their core to help cut back on RF and EM interferance.

hope this helped clear things up.

· Registered
779 Posts
1990Fireball said:
Will upgrading the spark plug wires on my completely stock 1990 Acura Legend 4 door do any good?
if the wires are the originals of course it will make a difference and an "upgrade" would make them better then stock so there are two resons to do it but think what cancer said just go with some pre maid ones if you want to be safe

· Registered
638 Posts
the ones he has are premade accel ones, long as he has 7 of them and they are the right length he can use the original connecters or swap them with the original plugs, the plugs just require some crimping with some pliers or somthing and they are already 0 ohms

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...I took the shortest spark plug wire off but I could not for the life of me find out how to disconnect the wire from the boot and extension that connects to the spark plug in the engine block. I'm obviously going to have to reuse that particular piece. Does anybody have any experience on how to disconnect that pup???

· Registered
638 Posts
I believe the rubber boots are glued, yours probably gona have to rip them apart by force and reglue them. I really dont get how special plug wires or coils could give a car more power. A spark is a spark and it either ignites fuel or it doesnt. If your spark is weak then fuel wont burn and your car will missfire or not run at all.

Heres a website i found about aftermarket wires.
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

· Registered
71 Posts
Well, depending on how the wires were made to be more resistive, the efficiency factor of the wire goes down with more resistance. This is b/c resistance creates heat, which lowers the efficiency, ergo the amount of power going through the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.