Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just joined this forum, and have spent much time tracking down threads that would help, and have problem solved to a degree. Here's where things are at:

My 88 Acura Legend Coupe decided not to start one evening, here in Fort Collins, CO. Thankfully, I have a garage to keep it in and work on.

Timing belt seems fine, as camshaft is moving as seen when oil cap off.

Distributor cap looks great, no sign of cracking, rotor spinning fine as seen when cap was removed.

So, I tested the spark, which isn't occuring on multiple plugs (tested 2 wires) and performed the screwdriver test on the wire going from the coil to the distributor, also no sign. I had the coil checked, which tested just outside of spec resistance (should have been.3-.4 ohms, according to Haynes). I don't recall the values, so am retesting tonight with my own multimeter. I purchased a used part from a junk yard, which tested slightly further out of spec and didn't solve the problem when replaced under hood and test started. Thankfully there was a return policy on it. (car-part.com, a God send for sure in home car repair!) I'm considering getting one new from rockauto.com, but I'm trying to be as economical as possible since in no huge rush.

I can smell gas every time I try to start, so I don't think it's a compression problem, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Though the fuel pump charges, clicks heard and check engine light goes off when turning car on, I checked the main relay anyway (heard from a few people that it often is the cause of no spark in Hondas). A few of the joints were dry or undersoldered, so I resoldered them, tested the continuity, all of which were okay, and plugged it back in, same results (pump charged, clicks heard, dash light goes off, no start.)

My car has been out of commission for a while, but thankfully I'm self employed and work from home with all conveniences nearby, so not much of an issue during weekdays. It still would be great to get my baby up and running again, so any counsel would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to test ignition control module next, also...

I forgot to mention, my local Auto Zone Honda expert suggested I pull the ignition module out next to test it. So, I'll also be trying that tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert, is the igniter unit the same as the module?

Robert,
Thanks! Just curious, is the ignitor unit the same as the module I mentioned in the second entry?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Gabe, look what you did, now he's calling you Robert cause it says on your av. lol.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Gabe, look what you did, now he's calling you Robert cause it says on your av. lol.
:rofl: yea Gabe, a few days away from A-L.com and you're in Fight Club mode!! :lol:

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
I'm with Sam, Gabe and Robert on the Ignitor, with a far outside chance on the Radio Noise Suppressor. BUT, even a mildly out of spec coil could prevent spark, as can bad wires. If two wires don't get spark, I'd check all six and see if they match. I'd then swap wires around and see what changes.

If it's been sitting awhile, the compounding effect of a couple of things in only a marginal way can manifest as no start.

Since you're actually getting no spark, the electronics would be in question. Forget all else until that's fixed.

You've backed up from the plugs to the coil and found a marginal, if not really out of spec condition. The Ignitor works in unison with the coil and is notorious for failure, especially if it one that was never replaced from the recall years ago.

Then again, the coil test, iirc, is independent of the Ignitor unit, since half the test is a pure resistance test with it unplugged.

I had a marginal coil on a running car recently which caused it to run really poorly. A replacement coil fixed the problem, though, I do believe the coil issue arose due to bad plug wires, one of which was arcing to the block/head down in the hole from the side of the insulator. I believe this overworking is what caused the coil to fail. Those were also nearly new wires, less than 6-months old.

And, to answer your question, the Ignitor is a small box, about 2" square attached to the coil and mounted adjacent to the coil on the wheel well. I suspect your Honda guy's "Ignition Module" is meant to be the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
repair still pending...

Thanks for posting to the thread everyone, and replying to the message. I ordered a new coil from RockAuto.com (though, they sent me someone else's brake pads by accident, so still waiting). I'm going to check the igniter today finally, and see how that reads, and will keep this thread updated.

PS - Obviously I'm out of the loop on "Sam's" actual name to address him as.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
latest update...

So, I tried replacing the Ignition Coil (twice, once with a used part, just today with a new one.) The car still won't start. The funny thing is, the new one also tested with high resistance (.7-.8, just like other 2, perhaps b/c temperature). My multimeter is pretty cheap though. It seems that's not the problem.

I attempted to test the Ignition module located on the wheel well, which it seemed one of the connections was not showing voltage for that should have. So, I'm looking at ordering a new ignition control module, to see if that might solve the problem (was OKI part). I'm also going to examine the radio condenser unit.

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Yeah I'd say return the coil (its almost never the coil thats the prob) and buy an igniter....used ones can be had fairly cheap...I MAY have one but I'd need to look when I get home, otherwise Im sure someone on here has to have a spare...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed!

So, it turns out the new igniter I ordered solved the problem! It was great to plug that thing in and immediately the engine started, after countless failed attempts in a while. Thank you for the advice and tips, they certainly helped!

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Nice, I'm glad you got it running. Congrats.

·
Rebirthing a Legend
185 Posts
Try banging on the hood while someone tries to start it. seriously.....
My radio condenser has given me a no start before. But really bang on the hood really hard while you have someone turn it over. worked for me..

·
The Legend is gone :(
384 Posts
Try banging on the hood while someone tries to start it. seriously.....
My radio condenser has given me a no start before. But really bang on the hood really hard while you have someone turn it over. worked for me..
Screw that im not denting up my hood:lol:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts