Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver door speaker on my 90LS sedan is beginning to do an intermittent pop and crackle routine ...thought I'd ask before I tear the door apart: should I be looking for a bad connection, or is this the sign of a failing amp at this speaker location? Original OEM Bose stereo system.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..and the solution is ....?

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
If you're not familiar with opening up and re-soldering amp interior connections then solution is amp replacement.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...so, what's the "usual" cost of having these speaker amps rebuilt? FCSR says about $80 per amp ...Willman's Electronics says $75 per speaker, $250 for all four. What does BOSE charge?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm an inquisitive, innovative (not to mention frugal) kind of guy: has anyone on the forum tackled this job himself? $250 to $300 sounds awful close to set of summer tires ...if you know what I mean! Here's a note off another forum: "You have the classic problem of the Bose amplified speakers. The capacitors on the amp boards are failing/leaking and when this happens the amps may not work at all or sometimes the amps will make a squealing/popping noise in the speakers. If you use a magnifier and take a close up look at the capacitors on the amp boards, I'm sure you will see several of them leaking the electrolytic onto the circuit boards. It's a little time consuming, however with some patience you should be able to replace all the capacitors on all the boards to make the speakers work like new again. Or, you can always purchase four new amp boards at about $85-$90 apiece."

Doesn't sound like rocket science to me (although, I'm no rocket scientist!) So, if we can resolder main relays, rad fan control units, instrument cluster circuit boards, etc., how difficult can it be to replace a few components on a speaker amp board?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Sam! That will be real helpful ...especially the component listing. Now that I know some of our fellow car nuts have the ingenuity and tenacity (and yes, frugality!!) to tackle this job without forking out $300 ...it gives me the incentive to try it myself. I'll report back when I have some positive (or negative) news.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
There are posts here on how to take off the door trim and the rear speaker covers. Just take your time and it'll be easier than you think to remove the speaker assemblies.

·
Old enough to be your Dad
248 Posts
Careful with the parts list provided on the Maxima site. Double check the actual parts on your amps before assuming they are the same.

When I was trying to fix my bose amps, I got some mazda millenium amps off ebay, and the capacitors do not have the same values, and did not work as well as the Legend amps. It is possible the maximas are similar.

I did end up fixing all 4 amps with a little help from my forum friends.

·
1990 Acura Legend
33 Posts
Speaker AMPS ?

aight, i consider myself to be quite good at sound systems(auto, home, PA, Studio). I have installed countless numbers of bass punding custom enclosures and ungodly number of CD Players, BUT i have never used BOSE. I have only had my Legend for a month now and it doesnt' have head unit (yet), so when reading this post, i am getting confused.

Does each speaker have an independent amp located in the door and back dash? Never seen any application like that before. But you know BOSE! Always inovative.

I can guarantee that i will be looking at that at first light.

B

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
I had thought about getting my speakers rebuilt but I ended up just going w/ a full aftermarket system. Now I'm kind of regretting it and should have at least tinkered with the stock bose system to see if I could get it going again. I've heard so many great things about it....

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
aight, i consider myself to be quite good at sound systems(auto, home, PA, Studio). I have installed countless numbers of bass punding custom enclosures and ungodly number of CD Players, BUT i have never used BOSE. I have only had my Legend for a month now and it doesnt' have head unit (yet), so when reading this post, i am getting confused.

Does each speaker have an independent amp located in the door and back dash? Never seen any application like that before. But you know BOSE! Always inovative.

I can guarantee that i will be looking at that at first light.

B
Only the LS model has Bose......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts