Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my legend a few months ago the driver side door speakers didn't work. I thought is was blown out so I didn't think much about it until I had some cash to buy some replacment speakers. That came up and I bought some JBL speakers. So today I figure the weather is nice I will replace my front door speakers. I start on the drivers side, everything goes smooth until I turn my radio on and nothing :mad: all of my other speakers work except my door speaker. So I also try another speaker and the same thing.

My question, could my wiring be bad from the head unit to that speaker? If so how much would it cost to have it fixed?

I decide to put it back together with my new speaker in the door and leave it until I find out what is wrong. I try to pput the door cover back on and it will nor fit :mad: There is a tweeter in the door that is preventing me from putting the panel back on with new new speaker in.

Next questions, when you upgrade your speakers do you take those out?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
103 Posts
A couple of q's. First have you done anything with the deck that is in there? Does it have an aftermarket or stock deck? Maybe the speakers wern't hooked up to begin with. You never know what someone has done before you, i've seen some pretty messed up things.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I was also going to suggest that someone could have messed with the wiring, behind the deck. It is common in legends to have a weak set of front speakers. My 91 did it, and I am constantly reading peoples posts on how their front speakers are doing the bose buzz. The guy before you may have gotten so annoyed with it that he just went behind the deck and unhooked the speakers altogether.

And trust me when I say that it is annoying, because it is a horrible sound..... a crackling buzz. My dads 92 legend does it as well. If you do not want to rip apart your console, then I think you may just want to check for voltage with a voltmeter or an electrical test light. With a voltmeter, I am not sure what kind of juice is supposed to be going through there. The only other problem I can see is it being the head unit.... good luck:)

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a stock deck and it is just the one speaker that is not working.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
So does the passenger side speaker pump out good sound? Not garbled or anything??

Sounds like he just unhooked the one speaker becasue it was blown. If you are not getting even a buzz out of the speaker, there is not a connection being made. If it was the head unit, I would think that you would be getting static or something. I think it would be easier to take out the deck and unhook the speakers then to rip off the door and unhook it. If everything seems ok behind the deck then I would suspect the head unit is not working properly on the front left channel.

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The passenger side works like a dream. How do you get to the head unit? How do you take the dash off to get to it?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You actually just remove the center trim peice to get to the head unit, not the dash (Acura was going to charge me 8 hours to remove the dash to find a short). I tried but was not succesful.... I must have been doing something wrong though. I know you remove the trim around the shift console, and the ashtray, and the screws underneath it. After that, I think you just pry the wood off... but dont listen to what I just said because I have never done it succesfully. I think it would be best to post a how to, or search for a how to.

Have you hooked up the CD changer yet?

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I hooked up the cd changer and it works great.

How do you remove the tweeter that sit in the middle of door speakers?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Good...

As for the tweeters, when I got my new speakers installed, they said they did not have to remove them. Maybe a different setup with sedan vs coupe. You might be able to take them out by taking the speaker grill off the door panel... as that is where I first saw them.:)

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have to remove them, I can't get the door cover back on with the tweeter and the new speaker in the door.:confused:

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question for about the door speaker not working. Is it possable that my factory amp has gone bad? Is the factoey amp a 4 channel amp and the channel to my door has gone bad?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Its possible I guess... and if you can balance and fade a 4 speaker system then it is a four channel amp. I would say that it is more possible for an amp to fry then a head unit. I would still suggest a voltmeter to check for where you are getting a current, and where you are not. I think your system has an amp built into the headunit.... I would hate to see you buy that from Acura... BIG BUCKS:rolleyes:

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arg........

I am getting really frustrated with this whole thing. I love my Legend but all the little stuff is really giving me a headache.

Should I try and fix the stero or put a whole new system in?

I also have other things I would to het fixed also.

I need one of those money trees in my backyard.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would fix it. I love the bose system, and the stock look of the deck, and the steering wheel controls, and how easy the cd changer works with the system.

Installing another system will give you even more headaches, and it never fails to do so. Incompetent installers, messed up wires, finding a new system, and the list goes on. Keep it simple, keep it bose. I hate the fact that I have an aftermarket system in my car. I would go back to bose in a heart beat....:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
if it's a bose system, aftermarket speaks won't work. just about everything bose sells is meant to be an integrated system so just about all components work as one. i had this problem when i first had my legend, except it was with the rears, bought a new set of JBLs and nothing. so the whole deal had to be redone. i popped in a JVC double-din unit with more JBLs in the front, all rewired. it was downright bumpin for a non-sub system. it was all about 400, installed myself. you can fix whatever problems are with your oem system but if you want somethin to really jam you'll need to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
hey Mckell. Do you have the L or LS trim. IF it is the L you are somewhat screwed, somewhat Lucky, depending on what you do. With the L trim it is easier to upgrade, because you can keep the bose speakers, if the deck is bad just get a new one.(aftermarket prefered, by me of course)and cuz acura will rip you for a new one or to have it repaired. If decide to keep it stock, that will suck if you have the L not so bad if you have the LS, just get a new amp(should be located behind the back seat.)

LS:eek:n the LS you can actually use an aftermarket amp and bypass the factory with out cutting the wiring(if you put the amp in the same place). ChrisK posted on how to do this. (if anyone knows which thread you can post it here, thanks) But if you bypass
J. - I am not to far from you so if you need help with installs or stuff, you can pm me, email me or call, (dont want to post # here but you can pm me if you want it) i may be able to come up or somethin, im on spring break. i am kind of a self made audio guru. sortof. ive dont 3 installs and they look good( and sound good) over the break im gonna be dynomatin i think and get the whole system worked out. But i need a new head unit. Damn too bad my old one got jacked. but any way, if you need help, hit me up. I hope you have the L trim.
and sorry for the Long post
peace
Tnelson

·
meber
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the offer. I am on vacation for spring break.

Are there any good salvage yards where you live?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Hey MCKell, i saw your post in the for sale/wanted section, wtb stock amp. Sorry bud, you got the L trim, so the amp is part of your head unit. only LS and GS have exterior amp.
ONe thing you might check, if whoever owned it before knew anything about audio, and the front speaker went bad, he might have just dis connected it, maybe behind the deck. just a suggestion.
One other thing, you can probably find a stock head unit on that forum, but i would recomend aftermarket, if you have the changer, get an alpine deck, if you dont i would recomend pioneer, just personal preferance. You also might want to go with a double din like Hurricane. and your speakers (factory) will work with that deck bc you have the L trim, so just put a new head unit and your front speakers that you started the install on, and you should be good to go. any other questions and you can pm me or email me

peace
Tnelson

1 - 19 of 19 Posts