Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed some Infinity Kappas all the way around (63.9i - 6 1/2" up front and 693.7i - 6x9" in the back) and a JVC head unit (KW-XC410). The rear 6x9s fart pretty bad under heavy bass load...I really thought Kappas were better than that! Anyone know what might be up? Bad ground? Not enough juice from the alternator?

I suck at stuff...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just installed some Infinity Kappas all the way around and a JVC head unit. The rear 6x9s fart pretty bad under heavy bass load...I really thought Kappas were better than that! Anyone know what might be up?
Do you have an amp? Kappa's are very good on the high-end of sound, mid bass . . . . . not so much. You probably have to raise your crossover frequency.

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have an amp and sub in the trunk, but the amp is for the subwoofers only (2x10" and/or 1x12"...whatever my whim for the day). The head unit is the only thing powering the speakers. The head unit is rated for 50w x 4 max and the speakers are rated for MUCH higher than that, so I really shouldn't be clipping...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I do have an amp and sub in the trunk, but the amp is for the subwoofers only (2x10" and/or 1x12"...whatever my whim for the day). The head unit is the only thing powering the speakers. The head unit is rated for 50w x 4 max and the speakers are rated for MUCH higher than that, so I really shouldn't be clipping...
I know that most kappa's are 2 ohm and most headunits dont work well under 4 ohm? Running it like that could damage your HU. You could look into that further though.

·
makes his putts....
710 Posts
The head unit is rated for 50w x 4 max and the speakers are rated for MUCH higher than that, so I really shouldn't be clipping...
You answered your own question. Underpowering speakers will cause clipping much faster than overpowering them. Your speakers need 110 watts of RMS power to sound the way they were designed. Your headunit delivers 18 watts of RMS power. The wrong impedence speakers + very little power = recipe for disaster. Get yourself an amp to power those guys. Oh and make sure the "Loudness" feature ( if your headunit is equipped ) is turned off.

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You answered your own question. Underpowering speakers will cause clipping much faster than overpowering them. Your speakers need 110 watts of RMS power to sound the way they were designed. Your headunit delivers 18 watts of RMS power. The wrong impedence speakers + very little power = recipe for disaster. Get yourself an amp to power those guys. Oh and make sure the "Loudness" feature ( if your headunit is equipped ) is turned off.
I did turn the loudness off yesterday and it does help a little.

Amping the speakers was a "longer range" option. I suppose I could move that up a little. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Definitely set these up on an amp. I have infinity Kappa perfects all the way around in my legend and I have a 4 channel throwing about 100 watts to each speaker. My speakers sound great and all my friends think so too. I would really consider a 4 channel amp for your speakers. Just run a distribution block off the power wire going to your amp for your sub.

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, it also happened to my friends car. Other than it being blown I'd test to make sure that none of the wires are grounding out. Many times inside the doors of cars there is so much metal that once the speaker is installed the + and - terminal of the speaker tapping this metal and grounds out. I'd check this first though, or try taping that area to keep this from happening.
I was just thinking it may be a ground issue. My head unit turns itself off periodically also. It's rather frustrating...

·
Registered
231 Posts
if they're "farting" under heavy bass then i doubt its a grounding issue. i'd take everyone's advice and try to find an amp to power those. i've had them before and the highs were awesome but to get low i had to add a sub. since you have a sub you shouldn't let your speakers go below say 100 hertz. if you can't do this through your radio pick up a bass blocker at your local audio store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.