Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going home from studying at the library at 1:30am in the Bronx, NY and I pulled a U turn from my side of the street to the other side. I got busted for pulling a U turn in a business district.

The thing is, it was 1:30am in the morning so it was definitely not during business hours and there were absolutely no signs at the light saying I can't make a u-turn. I recently moved over to NYC from California and over there, if it doesn't say you can't U-turn, you can u-turn.

I pleaded not guilty to the ticket and they sent back a court date. But because I also work I can't make it on that date. I'm planning on just taking the ticket to the local court and see if I can take care of it on a day that I don't have to work.

I've never gotton a ticket in NY before, nor have I been to court; anything you guys think I should do, or do you guys think I have a chance? I have photos of the street showing there were no signs saying I can't u-turn.

Oh and the car had California plates on it still, if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You may not make a U-turn near the crest of a hill, a curve or any other place where other drivers cannot see your vehicle from 500 feet (150 m) away in either direction. U-turns are also illegal in business districts of New York City and where NO U-TURN signs are posted. You may never make a U-turn on a limited access expressway, even if paths connect your side of the expressway with the other side.

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmanual/chapter05-manual.htm

Wait till you see the line and meyham at the courthouse at 9:00 am. Make sure you get there early and I suggest you not drive there unless you have a roll of quarters.

After you waste 1/2 day just to plead not guilty and request a trial date, you will kick yourself for not paying the fine....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh crap! It's that bad huh? I just didn't want any points or things on my record to drive up my insurance and I wasn't sure if an illegal U-turn counted as one.

No way to change my plead and just pay the fine now?

Just out of curiousity, will this ticket affect my insurance?....I'm pretty ignorant about tickets and stuff. I've only received one my entire life for speeding and got off that one w/ traffic school. You think I can ask the judge to give me traffic school instead?

Oh, and thanks for the info and link MC. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To be honest NYC is in a deficit and your money is all they want. Illegal u-turn is 3 or 2 pts. If this is your first offense, your insurance may ignore it. But they may drop you if they realize your not living in Cali anymore.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
it might just be worth to pay the fine and go to traffic school so that it doesn;t show on your record and effect your insurance.

even if you go to court, most likely the Judge will take cop's word against yours!

plus I heard you can do traffic school online also!

·
Registered
150 Posts
You've just been taught a valuable lesson. NY City cops are out there 24/7 waiting to catch you, particularly during the wee hours when the roads are empty. In my area of Brooklyn, I've learned to keep an eye out for them sitting on the side streets or parked in the dark spots waiting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tuff Call

How is your driving record??
If this is your first offense, just pay it off.
It may not affect your insurance.
If this isn't your first offense, look into defensive driving course after you pay your fine.
Good Luck.

Glen,

What part of Brooklyn are you from??
I grew up in Brooklyn.
It's nice to see somebody from Brooklyn on the forums.
:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHR XTC:

It's my first offense in NYC.

I received one speeding ticket in CA about 2 years ago for which I went to traffic school. Other than that, my record is completely clean.

I already submitted a not guilty plea by mail and they mailed me a court appearance date. If I do decide to pay the fine instead, is there any way to reverse my plea and just pay it?

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.