Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I have a 94GS, the Glove Box is pretty heavy and comes down pretty fast, I always thought, "Why would they make it so heavy?? Runs a risk of breaking like that"

The other day I heard someone say it's suppose to open slowly, I know the ashtray opens with a very cool effect, is the glove box suppose to do that too? What could be wrong with mine, should something be visible in it?

Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
FutureX 2001, I addition to your damper

someone may have replaced the air filter and either

did not reconnect the white cord
broke the cord
broke the rod that extends out of the damper
broke the plastic "hook" on the vehicle
did take the cord and pulled it through the plastic support but did not wrap it around and through again before connecting it to the vehicle's plastic hook.

Mine opens slow and smooth.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Mine did the same thing, well at first it came down slow, then one day i went to open it and the thing slammed down, and so I figured something broke, so I took the glovebox apart and saw this pullie like contraption behind it and realized that the arm that holds the cord snapped (too much junk in the glovebox) so I superglued it together it worked until my wife stuffed about 8lb of junk back in it, so for now, forget it. :eek:

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
just be careful and hold it while it comes down. When I did my a/c filter replacement, i didn't realize where the white cord and hook suppose to go so now it slams down.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
oh word, the gove is supposed to come down slowly? is this for all G2's?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LoL, seems like a common problem, what's the process to check out this "CORD" removal/what I should be looking @? Front of Glovebox? Rear?

Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
The very back of your glove box has a damper - looks like a shock and when the damper rod extends from the shock - there is a spring that cushions the extension. A white cord is attached from the very end of the damper rod and is wrapped through a hole in a plastic support and then it wraps back through the hole again before being attached to a white plastic hook that is above the glove box in the underside of the dash.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah keep in mind though that its plastic and for that reason most people's are broke and been broke before they even bought the car from the sounds of it, so dont' waste to much time on it, cause the minute you put too much stuff in it its going to snap, and from looking at the pullie/shock thinggie it can only take so much weight. Not much.........

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, you really have to be careful when replacing the AC filter, because although the job took approx 15minutes, I know a good 5 minutes was spent with me trying to balance the glove box with the left hand and removing the cord from the hook on the vehicle with my right hand all the while I was on my back with my head stuck up the passenger foot well. Best to have 2 people for the AC filter replacement.

Good news is that you can replace the cord with like 50lb test fishing line.

KNLNGUS

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
The funny thing about doing the A/C filter was that putting back the glove box frame, I had to lay on my back in the passenger seat w/ the seat reclined all the way down. However, i'm still missing some screws doing this since it took me 3 days to get it done myself.

G

·
0 Posts
haha, that's funny, mine comes down hard and never has come down slow :p. Whatever, I only use the Glove box when the cops pull me over, or when I need to replace my proof of insurance. ;)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LoL SpeedDemon, must be a common problem, I'm just afraid a passenger or something will hit the button and let it drop hard.. one day it might break.. maybe I should lock it with the key

1 - 15 of 15 Posts