Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the car wash yesterday,and notice that my speed ometer jumping.Then on the highway,i notice that the needle droped to zero and continued to jump.whats the problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can a bad VSS sensor make my auto-tranny act up? It acts like it doesn't know what gear to be in. Downshifts hard coming to red lights, and doesn't engage till about 1700rpm when I accelerate.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The VSS will definately cause issues with the transmission

there are stories of people ruining transmissions by not replacing the vss, it's controlled by the ECU, and the VSS sends bad data to the ECU, causing bad shift points, and downshifts when in higher gears, etc

Replace it dude. It's cheap and easy to do. Will save you a lot of money and pain down the line.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
No way you take it to a shop to do this. It's like 2 bolts and 1 wiring harness. Ridiculously easy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The link to ebay in this post is DEAD and the link is over 10 years old. Someone needs ot delete this post and let others post links with updated links to ebay so we know which one is the correct VSS to buy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Outdated ebay link and outdated post.

How to repair VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor):
http://pub.radium5.com/~legend/LEGENDtuner/repairs/speedsensor/speedsens.html

VSS is a factory item: Try Acura of Augusta or ebay (seller = excaliber9)

Here's one right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402046472&category=6773

PS - THIS SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE FAQ!!!!
The link to ebay is DEAD and the post is over 10 years old. This post should be taken down and replace with a new link to the correct VSS on ebay so we know which one to buy instead of deleting all the other posts on this forum to direct us to a post so old and outdated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
vss sensor. I had the same identical problem. Takes about 15 minutes to replace it.
well I replaced mine this weekend and it took a lot longer than that, lol. The bolts holding the plastic shield where all rusted and impossible to remove, the connector from the vss to the wiring harness was impossible to disconnect, and it was friggin cold, lol. But 1 hour is resonable, half if you're real good n fast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
VSS

+1 definitely VSS. You only have to replace the electrical part.

I have one that is nearly new for sale if you want it. $20 bucks shipped. It has about 500 miles on it. Came off a car recently totaled. PM me if interested.

Also, the VSS issue can cause seeming problems with your transmission, such as cruise control dropping out because it's using that sensor for maintaining speed.

Also, if you want I can remove it and take video on the way so you know how to reinstall it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts