Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo cable makes a stratching sound in the morning when the car is cold. The needle also jumps somewhat at lower speeds. I want to grease the cable. I know where the hex connection is at the master cylinder.

How do I grease the cable? I don't want to pull the cable out and then create more problems by not being able to reinstall. What kind of grease to use? Please provide step by step instructions on removal, greasing, and reinstallation. Thanks!

(BTW, has anyone seen a speedometer cable diagram in Helms - I have not).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Rick90Legend said:
My speedo cable makes a stratching sound in the morning when the car is cold. The needle also jumps somewhat at lower speeds. I want to grease the cable. I know where the hex connection is at the master cylinder.

How do I grease the cable? I don't want to pull the cable out and then create more problems by not being able to reinstall. What kind of grease to use? Please provide step by step instructions on removal, greasing, and reinstallation. Thanks!

(BTW, has anyone seen a speedometer cable diagram in Helms - I have not).
There is speedo-cable specific lube on the market. It's a real messy affair, but well worth it to find this stuff. It's kinda like graphite in a light oil; comes in a tube.

It's pretty straight forward to lube the cable. Pull it out, clean it off with solvent or similar, dry, apply the lube, reinstall into casing.

You might have to "poke" at it when reinstalling the cable in order to get the square shank to mate with the square socket in the speedo head.

Also (VERY IMPORTANT): Do not lube the speedo end of the cable. Keep this end free of lube for about 6 inches or so. Thius will keep the lube from worjing its way in the speedo head. If this happens, you'll have a bunch more headaches.

I don't believe this procedure appears in the factory shop manual.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Paul,

After undoing the hex connection, is the cable in 2 pieces? Do both ends (tranny end and speedo end) merely pull out? Do you grease both halves (excluding 6 in. nearest speedometer)? So there is a particular fit of the top end into the speedometer? If tranny end comes out, does it fit back any particular way?

Thanks.

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
Rick90Legend said:
Paul,

After undoing the hex connection, is the cable in 2 pieces? Do both ends (tranny end and speedo end) merely pull out? Do you grease both halves (excluding 6 in. nearest speedometer)? So there is a particular fit of the top end into the speedometer? If tranny end comes out, does it fit back any particular way?

Thanks.
Only the top half (the one that goes to the speedo) pulls out. The lower speedo cable has to be unclipped from the tranny to be removed. Try lubing the upper cable first and see if that helps, if it doesn't I reccommend replacing the lower speedo cable with a new one. I replaced both my upper and lower speedo cables, but I still have a problem with the speedo. My lower cable was binding very bad when I took it out and I think it damaged the gears where it attaches to the tranny :mad: so don't wait too long to fix it like I did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
speedo

I owed 1990 legend, lubing did nothing. dealer replaced both cables. Noise when cold went away and sticking / fluttering at certain speed went away. Its probably about 150 bucks now . woth it as car made a real racket when cold weather

·
Registered
118 Posts
speedocable

Rick,
I had the same problem with my cable..at low speed the speedo reading would sweep and jump around a bit. I took apart the big hexagon nut that holds the two ends together and pulled out the part from dash to hexnut. Don't worry about it not fitting back in, it was real easy to put back together..feeds right in and only goes in one way. I cleaned the cable and applied a coat of litheum based grease on it and reassembled it. It did the trick but within a month the sweeping problem came back. I took it apart again and this time, I pulled the cable out and pressed the tube of grease (like a tube of toothpaste)against the opening of the open cable & forced queezed grease into cable & reinserted cable back in. I also took the other half of the cable from hex nut to tranny out..really tough to get at due to limited space but noticed you couldn't grease this half so I just reassembled it back together.
It has now been six months and I have not had any speedo problems since.
Total time spent - maybe 1/2 hour at most. Cost was limited to a tube of white litheum grease. Good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I think I understand what to do. Now I need to figure our what type of grease to use. I've asked around and everyone stares funny at me when I ask for "speedometer cable grease."

The local Acura dealer said they use wheel bearing grease. Is wheel bearing grease something particular? I have spray on (not in tube) white lithium grease. What should I use? I want something that will work the first time and not break down after a few months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
speedolube

Rick,
A mechanic friend of mine told me not to use wheel bearing grease and just to use litheum based grease. Since I just happen to have a tube of the stuff from days gone by, I decided to use it. As far as operating temperature wise, I have operated it from sub freezing to 80degrees and have had no adverse effect. (I am from Canada and it gets real cold here). I thought the worse case scenario is it might freeze and snap the cable but it hasn't happened.

One thing you should be aware of, don't squeeze so much grease into cable tube that it starts to flow out from the dash end. Then you'll have some problems. But on the other hand, you need enough lube to solve your problem. Since it is so simple to undo hexnut and pull out cable, you can try different amounts of grease and if problem is still there, put in somemore next time.
Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.