Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 LS Coupe... Last week (twice) my speedometer took a mile or two to come to life... It appeared the odometer kept working and that the only prob was a intermittant speedo guage...I think it may be water intrusion due to rains last week and the car spent a lot of time not in the garage.... It was working 4.0 up to this point and 4.0 since.. but the car is now back in the warmth of the garage... Any thoughts ??? thanks...JJ

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am no expert, but I had identical problems while in a rain storm... I was on the freeway when suddenly my speedometer quit all together, sort of dropping slowly but jerkily down.

Spontaneously it started working again a few hours later, then quit again that night. I have NEVER had any other problems with it, this was just over about a 12 hour period. We had SEVERE rainfall and I contribute it to being "waterlogged."

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The only way water could short out the VSS would be for the vehicle to be almost up to its door mouldings in water....well, above the rocker panels.

Think back...have you ever been driving using Cruise and suddenly had the Cruise cut-off, the RPMs drop and the Speedometer drop? When reset, no problem? Another symptom of a failing VSS.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Twice during a long trip in which I was using cruise for several hrs, I experienced the momentary loss of cruise, RPM and speedometer drop. When reset, no problem. No codes nor flashing D4. I believe the problem to have been the VSS begining to fail so I have changed it. I shall find out in 3 weeks when I next make a very long trek. Normally, I would not "throw a part at a problem" given no Code nor flashing D4, but given the frequency of VSS failures posted on this Forum, I have elected to make a preemptive repair.

·
Registered
273 Posts
how much does it cost to replace a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sesor)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
frebay said:
how much does it cost to replace a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sesor)
From Acura of Augusta, the VSS is $80 plus shipping. You will require a No. 20 tamper-proof torx bit to remove the cover housing the "gut". The DIY procedure was discussed recently. Conduct a Search.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Very interesting. I have never had any of the symptoms of a failing VSS, other than my speedo failing... I have had this happen twice, both under extreme wet weather conditions and on the freeway.

Both times I was cruising full speed 70+ and my speedometer sort of jerily moved downward where it stopped at zero and stayed there for an hour or so. Then it jerkily moved back up into place without any problems...

Should I look into replacing my VSS anyway? I have never seen my D4 flash, lost cruise control, lost RPM monitoring, or had any other symptoms.

·
Registered
702 Posts
definitely look into getting a new speed sensor, because at first it starts messing up intermittently and then working again...but you'll get to a point where every time you drive it will fail and be very inacurate....find one now, save you the hassle later, because it is failing.

·
IM A LEGEND
742 Posts
MY SPEEDO IS DOING THE SAME THING RIGHT NOW BUT IT JUMPS UP AND DOWN LIKE CRAZY I COULD BE GOING 40 MPH THEN IT JUMPS TO 80 THEN ZERO. THEN THE SHIFTIING OF THE CAR ACTS FUNNY. I THINK I BETTER GET IT FIX FAST OR HURRY UP AND GET SOME SEATS FOR MY 99 RL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.