Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whose replaced the speedometer sensor? Is it a DIY?, location of it? I was on my street pulling out, when I noticed my speedometer sensor start acting up again (previously it had done it once on a main street, jumping from 40mph to 0 for about 6 seconds).. Today it jumped to 35, then right down to 15, then to 25.. well you get the picture, it looked as if possessed... I floored it to 45, and it started acting normally after which...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yes...its your VSS. i replaced mine by myself at a do it yourself garage. I highly recomend getting the car up on a lift as it will make life a whole lot easier... but I have heard about people who have done it on jackstands, but I would never attempt that.

Anywho.... It took me 45 minutes to do. Very simple. Acura wanted 1.5 hrs for it, so I went and rented a hoisted bay from this U-FIX-IT place, and I got the VSS, an oil change, and a tire rotation (without power tools) in an hour and a half.

Its defenitaly not rocket science...:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
yeah, definitely your speed sensor, i had mine replaced a couple of months ago and is real simple to fix, although i had my mechanic do it.

hehe, maybe you should hold off and see if it gets to be like mine or LatinRaver's...jumpin' wildly from 0 to like 100 mph even when stopped...and all kinds of crazy jumping around. :D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard $120 fo the Sensor itself... I might buy the part, and take it down to my local mechanic, wonder how much he'll charge me...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
$120 US for the sensor itself is rape. I paid $132 CDN, from the acura dealership here. I can get you one if you want to save yourself a bit of $$$. The CDN dollar is cheap for you to buy so it would probably be only like $90 with shipping... just a thought.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll keep that in mind Mckenzie, my nearest dealer Acura of Sierra, probably cost MORE than what I listed. Their prices are through the roof. Is there a general area where the sensor is, underneath the car.... front? rear? middle?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The sensor should cost around $80 US. It is located on the end of the geared shaft coming off the differential. It is near the oil filter on the passenger side of the engine. You really need to have it on a lift to do this easily.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had mine done at my mechanic for $150 total, parts and labor. I'm sure it's simple to replace, but I just wanted it under warranty and also didn't have the time to put it in myself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Last week I was in park and the speedo jumped to 140 mph. Once in while when driving it will drop to zero and then jump back up again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts