Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it appears that the merger btwn these two cell phone companies are goin to come true.
what is everyone opions on this potential merger?
im goin to reserve my opions on this merger till all the facts are in.
there is also a rumor that with the merger some current nextel phons wont be compatiable, hence forcing the customer to purchase another phone.
there is also rumors about verizon wireless gettin in to the fun and, try to buy out nextel.
with all thse mergers, i think a monoply can occur.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I think they all want to merge with Nextel due to the direct connect. Many companies are trying to introduce dc since the Nextel patent recently expired and none have been successful so far. Obviously they won't, Nextel has been doing dc for years. So these companies have realized this and want to merge. Just my 2 cents. :2cool:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Noticed that this happened right after the merger of AT&T and Cingular, making them the Biggest Mobile Company. Sprint and Nextel saw the future was looking cloudy so they had to make a move.

Verizon Wireless was the biggest, I wonder who they are going to get into bed with now—Catherine Zeta-Jones (T-Mobile).:D

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I don't really care. I hate nextell phones. They are loud and obnoxious. Everyone around you has to hear your conversation and the are constantly beeping. About the only people that have them around here are construction workers.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I heard Sprint sucks, dropped calls like there's no tommorow.
I hope that if they merge, I won't be getting dropped calls, lol :giggle:

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Depends on where you live, I used to work in Cell phones my experience:

-Cingular: Excellent Voice Quality, Good Signal, Poor Customer Service
-T-Mobile: Excellent Voice Quality, Good Signal, Great Customer Service
-Sprint: Excellent Voice Quality, Poor Signal, Good Customer Service
-Verizon: Poor Voice Quality, Excellent Signal, Poor Customer Service/Billing
-Nextel: Good Voice Quality, Good Signal, Acceptable Customer Service
-ATT Wireless: Excellent Voice Quality, Good Signal (Not 1 year ago, recently their signal went up), Great Customer Service (Too bad they merged though..)

I don't think T-Mobile would merge with Verizon...Verizon's Customer Service sucks, and has a bad image for some people, while T-mobiles is the total opposite. Verizon customers always have billing problems. The networks are also completely different. Nextel/Sprint makes a lot more sense. Cingular/ATT made good sense too.

·
Premium Member
9,314 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Depends on where you live, I used to work in Cell phones my experience:

-Cingular: Excellent Voice Quality, Good Signal, Poor Customer Service
-T-Mobile: Excellent Voice Quality, Good Signal, Great Customer Service
-Sprint: Excellent Voice Quality, Poor Signal, Good Customer Service
-Verizon: Poor Voice Quality, Excellent Signal, Poor Customer Service/Billing
-Nextel: Good Voice Quality, Good Signal, Acceptable Customer Service
-ATT Wireless: Excellent Voice Quality, Good Signal (Not 1 year ago, recently their signal went up), Great Customer Service (Too bad they merged though..)

I don't think T-Mobile would merge with Verizon...Verizon's Customer Service sucks, and has a bad image for some people, while T-mobiles is the total opposite. Verizon customers always have billing problems. The networks are also completely different. Nextel/Sprint makes a lot more sense. Cingular/ATT made good sense too.
lol on this side of the coast, Verizon is TOTALLY the opposite...customer service is great, reception is great, voice quality is great, and I've been with Verizon for like 4 years now and have had no billing problems or any problems at all. Everyone i know around here that has Verizon loves everything about it, and never had any complaints (except for the lack of phones, since Sprint always had the cool ones :giggle:). Sprint completely sucks at everything over here tho...my roommate had a Sprint phone that he had to cancel because he couldnt get ANY reception in our own HOUSE o_O.

·
Victory is fleeting...
5,414 Posts
Nextel had/has bing problems looming in the near future because of their lack of a high-speed data network. Their technology for Direct Connect (IDEN) is old and aging, and limits their ability to have a high-speed data network for all the cutsey things you cell-phone owners want out of a phone (everything except talking, apparently). Sprint has a high-speed network mostly in place, and that would save Nextel about $3Billion. Nextel makes more money per customer than Sprint, so Sprint wanted in on that action as well. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I'm still not convinced Nextel isn't making me ill. Any phone that makes your car radio crackle and radar detector scream when someone calls you cannot be safe to have next to you head (or you nuts when clipped to your belt).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Nextel phones are huge and loud. Kids like the wear them on their belts over their shirts. I hate nextel, they got crap service. T-mobile... crap service. Cingular/AT&T... cheap and better service. Verizon is expensive with the best service. I think they way to go is Cingular since you can get unlocked phones and use your phones if you ever need to switch plans.

·
Stock Is Best
5,489 Posts
I have had Sprint for tha past 3-4 years and their service has been awesome....a few dropped calls....it all depends on where you live. But I left Sprint last week and went to AT&T cause I wanted a phone that only they offered. :) So far I like the service, it doesn't drop too many calls...but people cut out quite a bit sometimes. bleh.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Mastervtec said:
But I left Sprint last week and went to AT&T cause I wanted a phone that only they offered. :)
Let me guess what Phone it was-Motorola V3. I hope u got that for FREE Branson, because every shop out in the OC when I was out there last week was giving them away for FREE with a 2 year sign up. I was almost signed up for one, but didn't what the 714 area code.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Like I said, I worked in cell phones for a while here in the Los Angeles area. Some of the Verizon customers here just haven't experienced what will probably end up happening to them. They'll get a huge bill and not know why. I believe Verizon actually had a class-action lawsuit against them for this reason. Most of our customers were ex Verizon, ex Cingular customers.

I know Cingular inside and out because a bunch of my friends used to work for them almost in the same location. I also had a Cingular phone before working at T-Mobile. My expereince, Bad Customer Service @ Cingular. If you haven't had to call their customer service center consider yourselves lucky. Long on-hold periods, lots of "let me transfer yous", "our customer service center is only open from 8-5pm, on these days...blah blah blah", you get the idea

·
Stock Is Best
5,489 Posts
TYPEII said:
Let me guess what Phone it was-Motorola V3. I hope u got that for FREE Branson, because every shop out in the OC when I was out there last week was giving them away for FREE with a 2 year sign up. I was almost signed up for one, but didn't what the 714 area code.
HAHAHA...no, I hate that phone. I wanted the T-637 from Sony...mostly just for the bluetooth and the fact that it was smaller than my Sanyo from Srpint. I think other companies may have had the Sony...or one like it, but the rest of my family is on ATT, so I talk to them for free.

BUT, a FREE V3? Isn't that phone like $400 out here right now?!

·
Creeper
1,472 Posts
well the cellphone industry is turning into an oligopoly like theres no tomorrow. pretty soon companies arent going to be as competitive to get our business. theyll set their own price based purely on profit

·
Registered
993 Posts
TYPEII said:
you could have ported your number over. But most of them, let me guess, vietnamese-asian owned cell phone stores don't like to port numbers. They rather have you open up a new contract and make money off of the commission.

The v3 is an OK phone, its basically a v600 in a new casing. Wait for spring 2005, a motorola v635 is being released. It's suppose to be an upgrade from the v600/v620 and will have a megapixel camera, EDGE, big outter display, and an mp3 player. I could go and sign a new contract to get a v3, but after seeing what happened with the v600, I'm going to hold off for a bit. V600's depreciated so much after their release, I can see the same happening to the v3. afterall, its not that great of a phone. You get the "bling" factor but that is about it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just bought a couple Nokia 8890's. They were 100 each. Damn nomotiv4all convinced me to buy em. They look like sweet phones, and considering they are still selling for over 200 on ebay, and they are a couple years old, they must be pretty damn nice. I got the unlocked phones so that if I choose to switched from T-mobile to cingular in feb. I can use this phone and sell the new one for some pocket $$ :2cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.