Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my brakes have started to squeak when I brake, it is not real loud yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.

What do I need to do? I don't want to go to a mechanic and let them do whatever, I'd rather go and tell them what to do. I don't think brakes need to be changed, just brake pads, and possibly rotors?

Anybody know from experience how much this would run or what I should get changed?

Thanks.

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
this friday out of nowhere my brakes started squealing pretty loud..............(u may have seen my recent thread on brakes) it got worse as i kept driving.................sounded like it was coming from the driver side front rotor.....................

in a day or two the squealing started getting VERY loud and also for a while now at high speed braking my car would shake..........................

i thought my rotors are rusted/corroded............this is what most people (INCLUDING the mechanic) told me when i said my car shakes during hard braking at speed..............

well he was this really cool guy, this was my first time i went to him..........he took off all 4 of my wheels one by one and checked my rotors and pads and everything for free and anything else i needed checked too......................turns out at 97k miles all 4 of my rotors were still in perfect condition, surface very smooth..................

only ONE brake pad, the rear driver side, was worn down..............
causing all this trouble.

cost about $17 to get a pair of no name brand pads from AutoZone for my 94 Legend L Sedan, they also have OEM "equivalent" pads for $28 a pair.............................

these pads btw, i notice brake pretty much like normal............they seem to have a bit less bite then what I had in there before (actually now that i think about it, i dont even know if it was OEM in there before, it was whatever the previous owner had in there i guess) when braking at medium pressure..............

the mechanic only charged me $35 for about an hour of his time doing all this (including waiting for us to goto AutoZone and buy the pads while my car was in his shop with the wheels off)

so now my braking probs are fixed..........everything is fine, except i lost a little bite when braking at medium pedal pressure.............ill think about dimple-drilled/slotted Brembo rotors from Wood for $230 and AEM pads later on.............................

i would think that its usually around $40 to have a pair of pads installed..................(thats what another guy qouted me) u can also easily do it urself, next time, i think ill do it myself with a friend....................rotors are probably a little more maybe $50 id guess to get a pair of them installed..........u cud do these urself pretty easily too, with instructions.....................

sorry its so long, hope it helps u

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
oh yeah, might be something useful............i got my pads changed the 3rd day after they started squealing pretty loud...........(i think they may have used to squeal a little before, i just never heard it bc i bump my music loud:) ) and they were squealing really bad and loud by that much time..........and the mechanic after looking at the pad (only 1 was worn down, but u have to change them in pairs)
he said that i could have driven on this for 2 more weeks, before it got down to metal on metal...................

·
Registered
62 Posts
I changed my brake pads the other day and didn't have any high temp. grease I was told by a friend that you need this stuff to put on the pad reatainer clips and the two bolts in the caliper . After changing the pads about an hour later I took the car for a ride and made this annoying squeaky sound when the brakes are applied. Could this be a result to not puttin the High Temp. Grease on the pad reatainer clips and caliper bolts. I Didn't forget to use the anti squeal stff on th shims and beteen the inner shims I'm lost and annoied by the sound please help:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
82 Posts
If one or both pads are bad on one side and fine on the other, you better have your caliper on the bad side checked. If the pads were put there at the same time, they should not wear that unevenly unless something is wrong. If one pad is worn and the other fine, it probably means one or both caliper slide pins are stuck. If both pads are worn, the piston is probably corroded and sticking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.