Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving for a while today, then suddenly at a stoplight I started to hear these squealing noises coming from the right side of the car, originating from the engine bay. The noise occurs whenever I stop at stoplights and occasionally at low speeds (I guess it’s the vibration). Then when the car is in park, no squealing was present.

I am guessing that the noises are coming from a belt, but as to which one it is, I don’t know. Could it be the TB??

Please Help!

Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
squirt a bit of water on each one to find out.. it should stop it for a sec.. or wiggle each one.. if its loose it sould be easy

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The timing belt would not be the problem. One of the drive belts or a bearing or the timing belt tensioner.
Usually, the problem is a loose drive belt.

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
LPB said:
The timing belt would not be the problem. One of the drive belts or a bearing or the timing belt tensioner. Usually, the problem is a loose drive belt.
Exactly, Peter.
Question to 'Gride_Cruiser': That noise is being increased during accelerating? Yes? -Mike

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
To isolate it. Do these things one at a time.
When it is sqealing-
1.Turn on or off the a/c(creates a load on the a/c belt). Does the sound change?
2.Turn on the headlights(creates a load on the alternator belt). Does the sound change?
3.Rotate the steering wheel left and right(creates a load on the power steering belt). Does the sound change?
This should isolate which belt or component is sqealing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Jetdoc said:
To isolate it. Do these things one at a time.
When it is sqealing-
1.Turn on or off the a/c(creates a load on the a/c belt). Does the sound change?
2.Turn on the headlights(creates a load on the alternator belt). Does the sound change?
3.Rotate the steering wheel left and right(creates a load on the power steering belt). Does the sound change?
This should isolate which belt or component is sqealing.
...lol.. or you could do it that way :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hotstartup said:
just pee on it, should fix it :giggle:
Hey, I know you do that to keep your car running at tip top shape, but that's not for me! lol

On a serious note,

I took the car out for a 15+ drive today, and no squealing was heard from inside, "rather" there was a mechanical/static sound coming from the center console, the A/C area, but that subsided after 3 minutes of driving (maybe I've never noticed it before I got paranoid).

After driving I left the engine running for a bit, popped the hood, I could still hear some sort of squealing but very minimal (EDIT: this is from outside not inside). I did all the tests suggested, I am not quite sure but the squealing may have been a little louder when I turned on the A/C and headlight?

EDIT: After a bit more driving, I followed the same procedure described, and could tell no difference whether the squealing was louder under different conditions... I toggled the belts as well, they seem to be fairly tight...

Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
As the car heats up, the metal parts attached to it also heat up, including the pulleys. They expand when hot, and the belts don't slip as much, cause they are now tighter due to the bigger pulleys.

If it is a loose belt, it will make the most noise when the engine is stone cold, and yo blip the gas to rev the engine.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tinkindling said:
As the car heats up, the metal parts attached to it also heat up, including the pulleys. They expand when hot, and the belts don't slip as much, cause they are now tighter due to the bigger pulleys.

If it is a loose belt, it will make the most noise when the engine is stone cold, and yo blip the gas to rev the engine.
But there wasn't much change in the level of squealing from cold engine to hot, wats "blip the gas to rev the engine?"

Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
Searchin4acoupe said:
Just don't hit any of the coil packs when you do that. :giggle:
:eek2: .... lol... ouch, soprano scream.. they should have about 10-15mm total flex at the longest stretch of belt, anymore and theyll need tightening

·
Registered
197 Posts
When you say the right side of the car, is this when sitting in it or looking at the front? And you also say that its at low speeds when the noise occurs, correct? The only pulley on the passenger side (right side when sitting in the car) would be the power steering pump, this is also the only one that experiences a change in load with speed. What I'm saying is that when the car is at a higher speed the A/C or alternator belts (and pulleys) don't have a higher force to transfer, but the PS pump would b/c of the speed sensitive steering system, more pressure (power assist) at low speeds, less at higher speeds. It sounds to me like something with the P/S pump, and there is no tensioner. But I havent heard of a P/S pump bearing going out before. Make sure your P/S fluid is at the correct level also.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mmmchickenboy said:
When you say the right side of the car, is this when sitting in it or looking at the front? And you also say that its at low speeds when the noise occurs, correct? The only pulley on the passenger side (right side when sitting in the car) would be the power steering pump, this is also the only one that experiences a change in load with speed. What I'm saying is that when the car is at a higher speed the A/C or alternator belts (and pulleys) don't have a higher force to transfer, but the PS pump would b/c of the speed sensitive steering system, more pressure (power assist) at low speeds, less at higher speeds. I sounds to me like something with the P/S pump, and there is no tensioner. But I havent heard of a P/S pump bearing going out before. Make sure your P/S fluid is at the correct level also.
HI, right side means when sitting inside the car...i'll check on that thanx!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.