Acura Legend Forum banner

SRS light...

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bigdad 
#1 ·
Recently my SRS was sort of flickering on and off, and its been steady on for about the past two weeks. I'm wondering if there's something wrong or there's just a wire loose somewhere. Does anybody know what the deal is? Is this something thats easy to fix?

#2 · (Edited)
It sounds like and could be...

- you have a problem in the "clock spring". The clock spring is the device inside of the center in the steering wheel that connects everything electrical on the wheel (Horn, Cruise control System and Airbag System) and still allows the wheel to turn.
If this car's airbag deployed sometime in the past, the clock spring may be ok or may be damaged. Or maybe when the car was rebuilt it just didn't get full plugged in everywhere.

- you have bad connections at the steering wheel. If you decide to do this yourself, make sure to follow the procedure step by step in the service manual before removing the wheel. Otherwise you'll end up with a loaded air bag in your face! (Autsch...)

ATTENTION!!!!!!!
============
BEFORE YOU UNPLUG OR PLUG IN ANY OF THE YELLOW PLUGS (SRS RELATED) FOLLOW THE MANUAL ON DISCONNECTING POWER FIRST. ALL SRS CABLES ARE YELLOW MARKED

Mike / Cologne

#4 ·
Anytime you have an activated indicator lamp, the first step is to access for any stored codes. Why "guesstimate" when the self-diagnostic system will inform? Not knowing exactly what you did in "readjusting the steering wheel", I would suggest you seek the applicable pages from the HELM; ex. pages 17-22 to 17-25 in the 92 CPE Manual. If you do not own a HELM Service Manual specific to your vehicle, order one today. You require it for most DIY repairs.

#6 ·
HurricaneLegend you need to prioritize your life!! You really can't just jump into the newer vehicles w/o using a manual. One DIY repair (correctly repaired) will have paid for the cost of the manual. The Chiltons and Haynes manuals are only good for reading in the W.C. (water closet).

#7 ·
Mike is referring to the cable reel assembly, which can become partially unplugged by your foot getting into the car and snagging the connector under the dash. I just talked to gslegend and suggested he check for loose connector rather than a $600 replacement.....turns out that's what it was....be careful when working around airbag and steering wheel. Accidental deployments hurt....disconnect BOTH battery connections before any work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.