Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have stainless steel brake lines for their G1's? Do you like them? Improvement? Know where to get them.
After getting the car lowered, I think slotted rotors and brake lines will be the next step...
Thanks.........

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have SMC lines in my legend. I got them off of options auto salon. it's www.optionsautosalon.com. I love em. Immedatly I felt my brake peddle being firmer. Braking was better, well, more controled and I felt like I was able to lock up my brakes easier (My car don't have ABS, but don't worry, the set of tires I had then were not the sticky Brigestone Potenzas I have now). I absolutly love these lines. Also, one thing I would recomend doing is at the same time, get your fluid flushed out. I still need to do that and hopefully replace with Motol.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Just one stupid question, how did you replace your brake lines, not flush your fluid, and still stop?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Well, acctually, when I got my lines replaces, a lot of my fluid just dripped out, but not all of it. But basically I need to power flush my fluid now. I wanna go to Motol or a DOT 6 fluid. If I want to switch to DOT 6, I need to do like a alcohol flush. But basiclly I have old, dirty, nasty fluid in there right now.

·
Registered
386 Posts
STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE LINES!!!!!!!!!

Stillen also carries steel braided brake lines for G1 legends. Also I was told that when you have the steel braided lines put in that is best to do the alcohol flush at the same time. I plan on purchaseing some SMC lines for my G1 coupe I already have some ATE SUPER BLUE HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKE FLUID waiting for the lines. I have been quoted a price of $177 for the SMC lines.:D

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is all rather interesting because I had a terrible time finding them for my 86 sedan. After literally days of searching online, finally found them but had decided just to put new rubber ones on. CyberAuto carries the Techna-Fit line which claims DOT approval.

Interesting aside. optauto.com does not carry them any longer (at least not for the 86) - they claim to but if you try to order them, they inform you that they are not available. The brand they carried were not DOT approved. You might want to make sure whatever brand you select is actually DOT approved or you could find yourself in a nasty situation with your insurance company if you should get into a wreck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
opt auto.com doesn't list any for G1.
and looking on stillen.com, there aren't any there either....
where are you finding them?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Stainless Steel Brake Lines!!!!!

I gave stillen a call and they assured me that they had a few of them in stock for $155 shipped to my door. Why don't you give them a call my guess is that they may not show them on the web because not many legend owners are beating down their door to get them.:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I was going to wait a little but maybe I should give Stillen a call...once everyone else reads this board they'll probably be all bought up!:eek: Thanks Mr. Bigs...would you reccommend the SMC over the Stillen or vice versa? Do you know where I can find the SMC ones?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for those of us who are MAI?

Moderately Automobile Illiterate...what is 'Motol'? What's the difference between DOT 3, 4, 6 or whatever? C25A1Guy what's the bennefits of switching to a DOT 6 over whatever is erccommended for the G1's?:confused:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Motol is a company that makes automotive fluids and lubricants used at the race level. DOT 3, 4 fluid is the typical fluid. Good for all around driving, but needs to be replaced every year because it absorbs (sorry, spelling isn't my strong suit) water. DOT 6 brake fluid is essentally race fluid. The reason for this is because it has a extreamly high boiling point. But DOT 6 cannot be mixed with DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid.

·
Registered
386 Posts
STEEL BRAIDED BRAKE LINES!!!!!!!!!

I'm going with the SMC Steel Braided Brake Lines because every time I purchase some go fast parts for my car and I search a porformance shop to install the parts most of them don't want to install them because I didn't purchase the parts from them. I have a shop that can get the SMC Lines for me for $177 and the will install the lines for and additional cost of course I have already purchased some ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid. The porformance shop told me they will install the lines for me all I have to do is set up an appointment. I have nothing against Stillens Brake Lines as a matter of fact those are the lines I was going to purchase in the first place but if I purchase them I would have to locate a shop to install them and finding a shop that will install parts that I didn't purchase from them is a hard thing to do. One more thing the guy at Stillen gave me a price of $155 including shipping and handling.:(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Guys I am right in assuming that the replacement brake fluids , Motol for example, will not harm the master or slave cylinders?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I don't believe so. Although if you don't really know the fluid replacement history of ur car (espically brake fluid), better get em flushed out nice and good. Motol won't hurt. It's still a DOT 4 fluid, but almost has the heat tolerance charictics of DOT 6. But here's where you need to compromise. Motol absorbs water very easily. Meaning you need to replace Motol with fresh Motol more often then regular DOT 4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts