Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter Makes High Pitch Sound Just purchased a '92 L Sedan. When starting the car, the starter (I think it's the starter???) makes a high pitch sound lasting about 1 to 2 seconds long. What is this sound? How to address problem.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Does it seem as though the starter motor is not disengaging from the ring gear, and so the engine is forcing the starter motor to rotate really quickly?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't be sure, it's just not a nice, quiet clean start. The high pitch noise lasts about 1/2 to 1 seconds. And then the engine starts. Also, when the car is cold (like it has been in the mornings here in LA in the last few weeks), the car may not start until the second try.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I drive my Legend about 2 times a week, so it sits sometimes for 5 days or so. Then, when it's cold and damp, I have to crank it for about 1.5 to 2 seconds before it fires. I just assume that it is taking time for fuel to be delivered.

I don't get the sound you mention, but Honda starters sound different to me from those on american cars (except for some Chrysler products). I think it's because they are gear drive starters. Have an Acura/Honda mechanic listen to it, and get an opinion. It's tough to diagnose a sound over the net. Sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.