Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 sedan, and for some reason i have a hard time starting the car. The engine cranks and it jumps and rattles quite a bit, but once the car starts(after like 5-10 mins of cranking) it will start right back up if i use the car leave for say an hour or two and come back it starts back up again. But in the mornin if i leave it there or if i use it and leave it there for a good couple of hours and come back i can't start it again. Also i notice when the car actually starts when i crank the park and d4 are highlighted but when it doesn't start when i crank only the park is highlighted.

Thanks in advanced

Ken Tran
91 Acura Legend Sedan auto

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*bump*

Anyways i'm still having problems, any suggestions would be welcome. I think it may be my alarm. The Stock alarm is really a POS, any way to remove the alarm but leave the keyless entry? or is it best just to get a new one?

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
yeah i have problems with my ignition sometimes too................today my dad told me to move my car and the key would not turn in the ignition................i kept trying and finally i remote started it and then it would turn..................my dad is like this is what happens when you put all this high tech crap on your car...................you cant do anything if the electronics fail........
........lol old people..........
also its kind of hard to turn the key all the way around to take it out when you turn the car off....................if sumone else is doing it they usually cant, and i have to do it for them, lol...................its hard to turn..................

lastly, sometimes it takes a while to crank before it starts............and when i do a remote start sometimes it takes 2 attempts............................

can anybody give me some advice???

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Guys,

In regard to the key not going in/out/not turning properly I went through the same crap. Give WD-40 a shot - ypu'll be amazed!! As for the starting I am not sure. Mine has always been pretty good at starting. LAter

·
Registered
238 Posts
You may want to try a Graphite Lubricant, I had the same problem and this was recommended to me. Im cant remember why but I was told the Graphite is better. It comes in a tube but its a powder and you just sprinkle a little on your key and slide it in and out of the key hole a few times, add a little more and do it again. and I was good to go.

·
Registered
760 Posts
have you checked the battery? it may slowly be draining.

just my 2 cents, it might help.... :)..... maybe?

-brandon

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm not the battery cause i tried to jump it, the engine would crank and ****, but it still wouldn't start. Some of my friends said main relay how would i go about checking that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same problem it take maybe a good 5-10 seconds to start the car, I had it checked out by my friend who is a mechanic and he had it happen on his 96 integra too....i have a 91 L coupe Auto....anyways,.....its a chip in the flywheel..YES!!!! I was amazed that automatics have flywheels....shows how much i know about cars....anyways he said the only way to get rid of it is to put a new automatic flywheel in and for the time and effort, I might as well get it all rebuilt but with level 10 or some other aftermarket tranny place........so guess what that means? Ill just deal with the fact that it takes forever to start for the time being!!! I dont have 3-4 grand for a level 10 tranny!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im having the same problem. Yesterday I was parked on my driveway with the front of the car facing the street. I got into my car and I tried starting it. I heard it cranking for about 5 seconds then I stopped. I tried it once more but ended up with the same result. Then the next time I tried it it wouldnt even crank, all I heard was a click. So I had a friend jump it, it started for a split second but died. So we tried again and it did the same thing. So at this point I was getting scared. Finally we tried it once more and this time I just started giving it alot of gas and it finally started. I also noticed that I was on empty maybe this effected it?? But I've been having ignition problems. Has anyone been through this or knows what the problem might be?

·
Registered
106 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
yeah i have problems with my ignition sometimes too................today my dad told me to move my car and the key would not turn in the ignition................i kept trying and finally i remote started it and then it would turn..................my dad is like this is what happens when you put all this high tech crap on your car...................you cant do anything if the electronics fail........
........lol old people..........
also its kind of hard to turn the key all the way around to take it out when you turn the car off....................if sumone else is doing it they usually cant, and i have to do it for them, lol...................its hard to turn..................

I had this problem with my Camry. It ended up being that I wasn't using the original key and the copy I was using wasn't cut correctly so it would get stuck and turning it would be stiff. When I used the orignal key it worked just fine. I don't know if you're using the original key or a copy but that's just an idea.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
O.K. fella's here's my 2 cents. What I used to do was hop in my Ack and slam the key in and twist the hell out of it until it fires up (normally 5 sec.) But what "I" figured out is that this is not the best idea because while your waiting for the motor to catch at the same time the fuel pump is trying to build pressure in the system "and" trying to send fuel to the motor at the same time. This is what you hear under the car when you turn the key to "II". Now, what I do is turn the key to "II" and wait a couple of seconds. And the motor fires right up immediately upon switching to "III". Now as for delays, it maybe because of a semi-clogged fuel filter. Which is largely due to (You guessed it) running the tank low. (there are impurities in all fuel tanks near the bottom) Advice: Don't go to gas stations when there is a fuel tanker there. As they reload the underground tanks, it kicks up impurities which goes right into your car while you refuel. -Just thought I might be of "some" help. Can't answer "all" your ?'s. But try changing the filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Don't they change the fuel filter with a tuneup? Cuz, I don't think the original owner ever got one. I actually don't know if he ever took it in for any of the maintenance work to tell you the truth. What do they actually do when they perform a tuneup?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts