Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to desperation at this point!

My power steering system started by freezing up now and then and eventually cut 2 belts. The car was then driven for some time without PS and I can tell you this, the Legend is a VERY heavy machine! Well now the steering does a skip just before a full turn of the wheel.

My mechanic says the steering rack is shot but I cannot but feel that the problem is with the pinion at the end of my steering wheel where it connects to the rack. I say this because once the steering "jumps" it continues to turn fine until it gets to the same point then it "jumps" again.

My questions; has anyone experienced this before? Can I just change the connection box between steering and rack or do I have to change the whole thing? Is my PS pump bad? How can I tell so I don't have to pay for what I don't need? Assistance will be VERY much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sounds like a bad rack. Get a rebuilt one. I got one from the junk yard for $120 bucks but it turned out to be bad as well but then my mechanic got mine rebuilt for $150 (no labour on reinstallation).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that was fast, thanks! Well in Nigeria parts for this level of car are quite expensive and there are no junkyards to scavenge from! Most of what you call junk there is gold here! The cost of fixing mine comes to about half the cost of buying another one and there are no guarantees. Ari_one, you say my steering cannot jump, well it almost like the pinion on the end on the steering column is missing some teeth or they are worn out and every time it rolls to that point it skips (this might be a better way to describe it). Wht are your thoughts . . .

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
At the end of the steering column is a joint with teeth as you mention, however there is a bolt that locks the joint in place and it can't slip unless all the teeth are worn off which would mean it would always spin. Sorry, didn't notice where you were at. You may just want to try buying a rebuild kit and having someone rebuild for you there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the response. My mechanic says the joint can be removed and replaced without changing the whole rack. I shall let you know how it goes and post some pixes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts