Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed today that it was impossible to move my steering for abt 2-3 minutes when i got ready to leave from work. It was ok later but still doesnt feel light. is it because of the cold (i am in MN). is this normal??
91 acura 175k miles

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
Is the steering tight when you are moving, or just sitting still? Could be the power steering pump. If it's the PSP, it will usually feel normal when driving at higher speeds, and just feel really tight when going slow, just like older cars before power steering. I had a similar thing happen on my old Audi.

·
Registered
781 Posts
hey bro i'm in mn too. now that the really cold stuff is here the car just doesnt feel as solid. i've noticed the same thing with the steering wheel, it takes a good 20 minutes of driving for it to feel normal and loose again.

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
yeah its because its cold outside its normal however I did hear that you could bust your seals on your power steering trying to drive it cold like that. its good to let your car warm up real good.

2,707 Posts
Someone correct me if I don't have this right:

If you haven't flushed and filled with fresh power steering fluid in a while, moisture can build up in the fluid, then freeze when it gets cold. The stiffness you describe may be a slushy mixture of fluid and water being pushed through the lines.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
it is not normal for the power steering to be as hard to turn when cold as is being described. The fluid certainly is worth changing immediately (check the level first) to remove any contamination like water, condensation, dirt and debris; all of those things that reduce pumping efficiency. Look at the rack tie rod ends for evidence of lubrication, as well as the rest of the steering gear. Look at hose condition, like collapsing or kinking somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.