Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This procedure is the exactly the same like SRS Airbag Removal, because we can't remove the steering wheel without takeing out the airbag.

Material
- A T30 Torx nut and rachet to remove the Airbag itself.
- A simple phillips screwdriver.
- A 19mm nut to unscrew the steering wheel nut.

Steering Wheel Removal
1. Disconnect both the negative and positive battery cables from the battery.
2. Remove the lower maintenance lid below the airbag and remove the short connector.
3. Disconnect the connector between the airbag and the cable reel.
4. Connect the short connector to the airbag side of the connector.
5. Remove the left side maintenance lid and the cruise control/set resume switch cover.
6. Insert a T30 Torx bit and remove the Torx bolts. Remove the airbag assembly.
7. Remove the steering wheel retaining nut (19 mm). Gently hit the backside of each of the steering wheel spokes with equal force with the palms of the hands. Avoid hitting the wheel or the shaft with excessive force or the shaft will be damaged.

Reinstall The Steering Wheel
8. Before installing the steering wheel, the front wheels should be aligned straight forward.

9. Notice!!!
Before install the steering wheel => Center the cable reel. Do this by first rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate it counterclockwise (approx two turns) until...

- The yellow gear tooth lines up with the alignment mark on the cover.
- The arrow mark on the cable reel label points straigh up. You see this word "TOP" on the cable reel.

Here's Our Cable Reel
A clockspring is the wiring harness that runs the 'Horn', 'Airbag', and 'Cruise/Radio Switches' behind your steering wheel. It's the reel of wires that connects the airbag and steering wheel controls through the steering column and it's called a clockspring, because it allows your wheel to turn many times without scrambling the wires.

10. Make sure the wires are not pinched or interfering with other parts when installing the wheel. Install the steering wheel and torque the nut to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
11. After reassembly confirm that the wheels are still straight ahead and that the steering wheel spoke angle is correct. If minor spoke angle adjustment is necessary, do so only by adjustment of the tie rods, not by removing and repositioning the steering wheel.
12. Using new Torx screws (it's better), torque the airbag to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). This torque is critical to proper operation of the airbag. Connect the airbag wiring harness and then the battery.
After installation, turn the ignition switch ON. The instrument panel SRS light should turn ON for about 8 sec's and turn OFF. Check operation of the horn, audio and the cruise control switche. It should work as always.

Here's our Driver Airbag

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Mike Welcome back , nice to see your posts again, keep it coming. Your DIY's always answered my quetions and fixed my problems.

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Darek. You also know that I still owe you the EPC Honda DVD 10.0 ? I didn't forget it, but due some circumstances in the forum I got never the chance to send it to you. I still have your private address and I will send it to you in Florida :bowdown: -Mike

BTW: A few weeks ago, I sent a small parcel to JTJohnny in CAL. It needed from Cologne to CAL only some days. I was really surprised how fast it was. Let's see ;)

· Registered
1,421 Posts
hey Mike i know about the DVD i just thought you forgot about it , bc of the issues here on the forum.

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJPolak said:
hey Mike i know about the DVD i just thought you forgot about it , bc of the issues here on the forum.
No no, I never forget friends. But sometimes I'm a lil bit slow :giggle: I'll get back to you as soon the parcel left Cologne ;) -Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.