Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a problem with a "crackling noise" coming from the joint where the outer tie rod connects to the steering knuckle?

Has anyone replaced that outer tie rod?

-FurBall

·
Registered
685 Posts
I recently had the same problem, the mechanic said it was my steering knuckle, I made the mistake of waiting to get this prob fixed, and my steering became harsh, sometimes locking up or snapping in a certain direction, I finally got it fixed tho

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just replaced a lower ball joint on a honda civic that was making that crackling or creaking noise. To determine which joint it is , lift the rubber boot with a screwdriver and spray penetrating oil into the joint (like a rhumatism injection). If you got the right joint the noise will dissapear, only temporarily though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
FIX IT NOW

DO NOT WAIT.

If you can find what it is and do the work yourself, fine, but if not take it to a mech., but whatever you do,

FIX IT NOW.

You may get by with the noise for a while, and you may also find yourself goin down the freeway doin 80 and both front wheels decide they want to point different directions.

it may seem like a small argument between wheels, but it usually ends up in a big fight.

If you already are sure it's the tie rod end, it's an easy fix. I changed both mine in just an hour (i have air tools) and if you carefully mark where the tie rod sits, it's fairly easy to get the new one in without needing a front end alignment.

·
Registered
685 Posts
No kidding? man am I glad to hav had mine fixed, **** 80? I do more like 120 that would have been an interesting result (can we say SPAM)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I had a similar problem (it was actually the CV joints- I replaced both axles with rebuilt units). The dealer's solution was to "turn the radio up so that you don't hear it". :rolleyes:

I don't go to Tustin Acura anymore.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!!

I appreciate all the feedback. Here is what I have learned:

I have narrowed it down to one of the three following places:

Outer Tie Rod where it attaches to the steering knuckle

Right side Lower ball Joint (which I don't think it is, cause my mechanic just replaced the other one and said he checked the right one)

Upper Ball Joint where it attahces to the upper control arm.

Problem is that I can't get it in until Friday to get it fixed. So I'll just cross my fingers and hope it makes it until Friday.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good luck man, I'm not gonna say I havn't pushed my karma myself, but I guess I need something to balance all that [email protected] good that I do.... :D

still could be the ball joint, they can go away all of a sudden, ie right after the mechanic checks it...

good luck with it man,
buk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts