Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somthing is draining power from my battry when the car is off , i had he wiring checked and they said it was something to do with the stereo what could be wrong ???????????????. they said the alternator was find and everything and when they pulled the fuse to the radio that did the trick.

i need help anyoneeeeeeeeeeeeee

1995 legend GS

·
Registered
248 Posts
usually when this happens, its not the stereo, of course the steroe drains the batter, its memory and stuff is alwaysy hooke dup but it should drain a minimal amount.

it is usually your battery is close to death and not holding a charge like it should...I would get the batter checked out first.

unless...you radion's remote turn on lead is somehow not shutting off so the amps are idling always draining the battery (this is if you have amps that is)...

b

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the battery was checked and i was told it is in very good shape and less then a yr old. The amount of discharge was very high they said, something like 80 amp(or 80 something not sure about the amps) i dont have a system in my car all factory, but i know the car has a factory amp behind the rear driver seat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
thats really messed up, there is no way a stereo can drain even close to 80 amps balsting full tilt, much less idiling...hmmm...

let me ask around to see what I can find out.

b

·
Registered
248 Posts
no answers yet, I meant the amps idling drawing idle current (usually below 5 amps)

:)

b

·
Registered
103 Posts
bing0
something I just thought of. Since the draw stops when the fuse is pulled, maybe there is a wire grounding itself out and pulling some major juice. I very highly doubt is even close to 80, but it may be high enough to drain the batt pretty quickly.
Especailly if the system isn't stock and someone has installed it on their own, possibly not being careful and stripping insulation off a wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WHICH FUSE?

Exactly what fuse did they pull? Was it for the radio? And if so, how did they come to the conclusion the problem stopped? Did they keep your car for awhile or did they use a current test on the battery? The amount of amps they say was being drawn is probably 80 milliamps which is 8/10ths of 1 amp.

Since you say you haven't modified the stock system it would have to be in either the factory amp or factory antenna. The antenna should be making a humming noise if it's that. And have you modified anything else electrical in the car like fog lights, HID lights, neon, ANYTHING?

PEACE

·
Registered
926 Posts
banel said:
YOU NEED A CAP; A FARAT OR 1.5. I'm talking from experience
I have a similar problem with my car but I don't have a factory system. How much do the capacitors cost and where can I buy one at. My stereo cuts on and off when I turn it up loud, and if my car has been sitting when I start it the battery light sometimes come on. Battery and alt. already been checked and they are fine.

Didn't mean to jack your post man :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
In your case, I trully think that you need caps. I got mines from Circuit City and they cut me a very good deal. $101 installed for each. I have two 1farat. They usually sale for $149 and $ 89 for 0.5 farat. It cost more at Best Buy. Good luck

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I say

Remove battery connectors from terminal and clean them. Sand them down with san paper or metal brushes.

Disconnect the radio power and test it.

Then Disable an alarm if you have one.

Make sure all doors are closed with no lights on.

Make sure the automatic seatbelt reacher is not stuck/jammed

Then test it the car .

**** I saw this happen to me the other day!!!!!!*****

The power antenna, Does it goes all the way down?

On my Car2 the guy before me put a cheap automatic antenna and when I turn off the car The antenna does not go all the way down. I never thought of anything and after The car did not start the next day I went back and listen to it when I turn the raido on and off. the motor was still pulling the antenna down and it was stuck. I just disconnted the dam thing. The antenna was also wired wrong. Wannabees

After turning that off, I replaced the battery and it was fine.

Where did you check your altenatoe and battery? did they hook it up to a Computer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts