Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· has left.
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched for a bit and couldn't find the quick answer I was looking for:

I've got my entire center console taken out and a new Acura head unit all wired into my '95 L Sedan but it seems the the DIN clips have NO PRAYER of clearing the metal 2DIN slot the stock head came out of. My Alpine is a 1 DIN unit in a mounting bracket, all purchased from crutchfield (mounting bracket is the universal thing they claim works with the car)

Anyone have any idea how the hell to get the silly thing in there so it'll fit behind the center console panel?

It appears that I could file off the clips and the center console would hold the unit in place but I can't be sure and I don't want to try it.

Anyone whose done this and knows what's up, I'd LOVE a quick response! Thanks much!

And Merry Christmas to all!

· has left.
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fixed my own problem. The instructions lead one to believe that the clips on the DIN mounting bracket clip into place into the metal bracket that the factory head came out of. What I didn't realize was that if you line everything up in the center console instead, and THEN try to put it all together (ie. those clips are meant to hold the mounting bracket in place in the console panel) then everything works much better. Once I figured that out, everything snapped together beautifully.

Looking forward to engoying my new Alpine head with built in Sirius radio tomorrow - finally got rid of the FM modulated piece of junk :) It took the 6-disc with it though :( (for now at least...)

Does a modified stereo make the car no longer stock? I think I'mma have to change my sig...

· has left.
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really - I just got my single DIN setup installed today. I thought about going double DIN for a while but there hasn't been anything exceptional released in 2 DIN build in a while now (short of screens and such which I can't afford).

Sorry :(

· Banned
3,429 Posts
some members on here have DD setups and from what I can gather, they went without the mounting sleeve because with the mouting kit the DD unit won't fit. I think it was volkracing who posted pics of the Kenwood Excelon install he did and if my memory serves me correct, he didnt use the mounting sleeve.

· Registered
4 Posts
Wow, thanks antik. I've been having the same exact problem in my 91 Sedan. My Metra kit snapped in two when i lost my patience trying to get that darn thing to fit into the metal bracket. Once I buy a new kit, I'll try your method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.