Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have ruled out fan control module the fan does come on regularly. Sometimes i think it should kick on a little sooner. Anyway I drove 60 miles then started climbing a steep grade sure enough my temp gauge went up to 3/4. Turned the heater on to cool it down. My fan will kick on when I am ideling after getting warmed up. I do think the the fan is working so could it be a plugged radiater, or can you get a more sensitive temp sensor so the fan kick on sooner. My options?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
jessealan said:
Okay I have ruled out fan control module the fan does come on regularly. Sometimes i think it should kick on a little sooner. Anyway I drove 60 miles then started climbing a steep grade sure enough my temp gauge went up to 3/4. Turned the heater on to cool it down. My fan will kick on when I am ideling after getting warmed up. I do think the the fan is working so could it be a plugged radiater, or can you get a more sensitive temp sensor so the fan kick on sooner. My options?
My coupe would heat up when climbing long grades as you have described.

A new radiator (thermostat and hoses) has fixed the problem. When I removed the hoses from the original radiator, I was surprised at how much white scale coated the inside of the radiator.

I also flushed (with clear water) the engine block thru the thermostat housing with the drains opened until clear water came out.

After hearing about silicates contained in conventional coolant, I went with Honda non-silicate (not the long-life) coolant and distilled water when I refilled the new radiator.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paulo,
I wonder if I should just try the thermostat first. Another thing which I don't feel is a coinsidance is that I started haveing problems as soon a I poored a little stop leak in my radiater. I am thinking taking the radiater to a radiator shop that cleans them out. Or I could fork out 200 for a new radiater and attempt to install it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
hey, we have the same exact problems.

does yours ever go to the red zone?
mine doesnt

today the needle was so so close to going into the red zone.

mine also goes up when idling, does urs cool down when going on the highway?

i will probably bring my car in on thursday.
because of the high temp gauge, the fan will sometimes stay on for a long time after turning the car off.
does yours do that also?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
jessealan said:
Paulo,
I wonder if I should just try the thermostat first. Another thing which I don't feel is a coinsidance is that I started haveing problems as soon a I poored a little stop leak in my radiater. I am thinking taking the radiater to a radiator shop that cleans them out. Or I could fork out 200 for a new radiater and attempt to install it.
I doubt that a thermostat will cure your problem. I'm asuming from your original post that the engine operates at a "normal" temperature unless it's under load.

Why did you add stop leak? Where was the leak?

If you do take the radiator out to have it repaired, make sure to tell them that you want the upper and lower tanks sweated off (assumming it has metal tanks) and have the core rodded out. This will remove deposits and unplug the core better than just dipping the radiator in the cleaning tank.

Sometimes, it's more cost effective to just buy and install a new radiator, especially if the radiator has plastic tanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine does not get into the red zone because I would always turn the heater on to blow out the hot air. I did not actually have a leak the drain plug was loose and coolent was disappearing there.

·
Registered
864 Posts
hmm, I havent tried putting on my heater to relieve the temp. but ill try it.

But unlike yours, mine has no leaks and the coolant seems to be flowing.

Would a thermostat be the culprit? and how much for thermo. plus labor.

I really hope that it isint the radiator for me.
Im really hoping its the temp. gauge sensor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, I have no coolant leak. THe stop leak I put in was due to a loose radiater drain plug. The stop leak could have accumilated in the thermsostat so I will replace that first. Then move on to the radiator if need be.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
jessealan said:
Just to clarify, I have no coolant leak. THe stop leak I put in was due to a loose radiater drain plug. The stop leak could have accumilated in the thermsostat so I will replace that first. Then move on to the radiator if need be.
Make sure you install the thermostat with the little "pin" pointing up.

Pick up a new rubber seal that goes around the thermostat too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My brother does not think it is the stat probably the radiater. I will take it in to a local shop. 179 for the radiater. 75 for install including hoses. Good deal?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
jessealan said:
My brother does not think it is the stat probably the radiater. I will take it in to a local shop. 179 for the radiater. 75 for install including hoses. Good deal?
Sounds like a decent deal to me.

I paid $185 for a new radiator (Modine) and I installed it myself. Upper and lower hoses ran about $40 for both (AC Delco brand....strange, huh?).

From the dealer; thermostat, seal and a gallon of Honda coolant - about $60 (bend over).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts