Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock air filter in my 90 Legend L Sedan. Anyway, the old filter had about 12K miles on it and was about 8 months old, so I changed it out. Unfortunately, the plastic element housing on the old one had failed on me.

What happened is the plastic on the housing cracked and a few small pieces of plastic fell off. Needless to say, dirty air could bypass the filter.

I don't want to bad mouth any particular company, it wasn't a Honda Filter but one from a major company.

I never dropped the filter and I'm sure it wasn't damaged like this when I put it in. It really looks like plastic fatigue. :mad:

Here's where to look, the damage was above the plastic outlet tube. It was on the dirty side of the filter, where the paper element creases up and down. The outside of the housing looked fine, but when I looked at the paper side, wow, it was cracked in at least 4 different places. Don't look into the plastic outlet tube, it's hard to see anything in there. I also held the filter up to the sunlight and where the damage was, the housing was a lighter color, because the cracks let the sunlight through.

Take my advise, check it out. I would attach a picture, but I can't get a good shot of the damage.

· legend status
1,680 Posts
Thanks For The Heads Up, I Would Swap Out That Stock Filter For A Custom Made Cold Air Intake Set Up With Maybe A K N N Fitler, The Gas Mileage Difference Alone Is Well Worth It ( I Use To Have A 1990 Auto Sedan ). Good Luck!

· Registered
349 Posts
fram sucks... i will never use a fram product as long as i live
ive heard of fram oil filters killing several engines which use high oil pressure...
an anonymous fram employee said its because the glue often misses the filter element :)
there is a great article on it somewhere. let me look...
maytag

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.