Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
92 sedan POS said:
i just bought the oem spoiler for my car....my car originally did not have a spoiler.....now my question is......where do i hook up the LED brake light to ???
If you indeed have the stock spoiler, what you should have is a brake failure sensing realy that will replace the one on your left tailight, the new trunk springs, and most importent, the wiring harness that plugs directly into the stock OEM wiring harness. What you should see is the stock LED light coming from the spoiler should have bullet connectors attached to each wire. You then should have another harness that will plug directly into the plug under the rear deck that the deck mounted 3rd brake lights plugs into. You unplug the deck light, plug the harness in, and on the other end of the harness is the matching bullet connector to plug into the LED light wires. The OEM spoiler is all plug and play, and because you have the new brake light failure sensing relay/black box, or whatever you call it, you will not get the dash warning light.

Also, I just noticed you have a Sedan, so you should also have the relay and harness that is used to automatically lower your antenna when the trunk is opend. The Coupes do not need this, but the Sedans do, and the OEM kit for the Sedan includes this.

·
2,873 Posts
Hey how much did you pay for your OEM spoiler?

92 sedan POS said:
i just bought the oem spoiler for my car....my car originally did not have a spoiler.....now my question is......where do i hook up the LED brake light to ???

·
2,873 Posts
ARe you sure its OEM and not aftermarket? If he did sell u an OEM spoiler ask him to give you the relays that will disable the 3rd brake light as well as lowering the antenna when u pop open the trunk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Actually it looks to me like he has a permanent antenna and doesn't need to have it go down when the trunk is open.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LEDs

The guy who owned my car before me got the OEM spoiler put on my 91 sedan. Well, they left the stock 3rd light hooked up instead of using the LEDs.

I dont know about this relay for the dash warning lamp. Do I need it and if so where do i get it?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Re: LEDs

wesquire said:
The guy who owned my car before me got the OEM spoiler put on my 91 sedan. Well, they left the stock 3rd light hooked up instead of using the LEDs.

I dont know about this relay for the dash warning lamp. Do I need it and if so where do i get it?
If the previous owner got a real OEM spoiler, he miust have gotten one used. The OEM spoilers are direct replacments and it plugs into the stock OEM 3rd brake light connector. You actually have to disconnect the deck mounted light from the connector and plug in the connector from the spoiler. Of they spliced wiries, he either got it used or got a OEM look alike aftermarket spoiler. The OEM spoilers also come color matched from the factory. When you order one, you need to give them your color code.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The spoiler was purchsed at the dealer when the car was new. (I have the records.)

My question is, where is this relay thats somebody referred to? If he bought the spoiler but just did not have the LEDs plugged in, is it possible that I already have the relay I need? If not, how much do you think something like that costs?

I asked the dealer while I was there and the dude I was talking about seemed clueles about the relay issue. Since that is not why I was there, I dropped it for the time being.

Can anyone help me please?

muchas gracias

G

·
A relay couldn't cost more that 20 bucks...only thing you can do if you don't have this relay would be to remember to turn off your radio when you open your trunk to avoid damage to your antenna. Here are the prices I have for all of the parts you are going to need...
relay-$16.97
spoiler spring-$17.84*
Hrdwr Kit-$7.87 (templates, screws, converter plug, etc.)
trunk spring tool-$5.83 (see below..will be used to switch springs)
R. stop lamp sensor-$33.80
TOTAL-$64.47 (not including spoiler springs)
$82.31 (w/ spoiler springs)
You will also need to add a few dollars for shipping.

*I have heard somewhere that the springs that come on your car already are still used even after the spoiler is installed, only they are switched.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I believe the earlier G2s have a a two position hinge mount (My 92 Cpe does). I am uncertain about the latter yrs. On the earlier G2s the second position allows you to increase the torsion torque. Even on the earlier G2s you are supposed to install the optional spoiler torsion springs on the lowest setting. Some have reported these springs to be no longer available, so if you have an earlier G2 you could derive some additional lift by using the original springs moved to the higher torsion setting.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
LPB said:
I believe the earlier G2s have a a two position hinge mount (My 92 Cpe does). I am uncertain about the latter yrs. On the earlier G2s the second position allows you to increase the torsion torque. Even on the earlier G2s you are supposed to install the optional spoiler torsion springs on the lowest setting. Some have reported these springs to be no longer available, so if you have an earlier G2 you could derive some additional lift by using the original springs moved to the higher torsion setting.
LPB.... could you shed some light on this issue. I have a 93 coupe that has a factory spoiler, but it was added only a few years ago. The trunk does not stay up..... so how do I (if its possible for my year) increase the torsion torque to make it stay up. Also, if I need to buy new springs, how hard are they to install? I remember reading that they were somewhat of a a pain in the butt...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mckenzie93,
Go to the ACURA CARLAND website at www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/. Select ACCURA ACCESSORIES, put in the information for your car and then select ACCESSORIES-EXTERIOR. They have the spoiler springs, the installation tool, the relay and other parts that are of interest.
I would recommend, from personal experience, that you get the installation tool should you decide to get the springs. They are well worth the price, even if you only use them once.
You should be able to order directly from the site. I have not ordered from the site yet, but I have ordered some Honda parts from the companion site at Majestic Honda and have been pleased with the service.
Interestingly, they also list a complete fog light kit for a '91 Legend LS Sedan. I was told by my local dealer that it was no longer available. I had a simular situation (at the companion site) in getting a compressor clutch coil for a 1989 Accord. The local dealer said that it was no longer available, but Majestic Honda got it for me within two weeks. Seems that they start a search at their local warehouses and than branch out until they locate the part.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
WHM said:
Mckenzie93,
Go to the ACURA CARLAND website at www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/. Select ACCURA ACCESSORIES, put in the information for your car and then select ACCESSORIES-EXTERIOR. They have the spoiler springs, the installation tool, the relay and other parts that are of interest.
I would recommend, from personal experience, that you get the installation tool should you decide to get the springs. They are well worth the price, even if you only use them once.
You should be able to order directly from the site. I have not ordered from the site yet, but I have ordered some Honda parts from the companion site at Majestic Honda and have been pleased with the service.
Interestingly, they also list a complete fog light kit for a '91 Legend LS Sedan. I was told by my local dealer that it was no longer available. I had a simular situation (at the companion site) in getting a compressor clutch coil for a 1989 Accord. The local dealer said that it was no longer available, but Majestic Honda got it for me within two weeks. Seems that they start a search at their local warehouses and than branch out until they locate the part.
Thanx for the info WHM.... I will have to check into that so I can stop using an axe handle to hold my trunk up.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts