Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was driving both cars today, my 95 LS Coupe and my 94 GS sedan and I noticed that either the gear ratios are different in the two cars, or, the final drive/differential is different as @ 40mph my coupe sits at about 1500rpm, whereas the GS sedan hovers around 1850rpm at 40mph; this trend of course only worsens with increase in speed.They have the same original GS wheels and same size tires so what gives? Is there a way to tell if somebody swapped out the differential from a Type I or had the tranny replaced with a Type I tranny, or, is it just that the GS sedan has different gearing/final drive ratio than the LS coupes. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any help with this one? Both my LS coupe and GS sedan are auto's but for some reason, in top gear, the coupe runs at considerably fewer RPM's (about 1500rpm at 40mph in the coupe vs. about 1850-1900 at 40mph for the GS sedan). If any of you know the answer to this question it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good idea, I know there should be no difference between the GS sedan and LS coupe but considering I did not own it for the first 215,000mi and the previous owner did a bunch of small mods (Short intake w/K&N, engine damper, replaced carpeting added sound dampening material, etc..) to it I was unsure as to whether or not the tranny maybe went out awhile back and somebody had a rebuilt Type I tranny put in.

I am definitely going to check out the speedo/VSS first but how can you tell if you have a Type I vs. Type II tranny? Serial Numbers? Part Number somewhere on the tranny? (hopefully visible w/o taking the tranny out).

·
Registered
477 Posts
There's no difference in the setup of these two cars, but performance is a bit different due to the weight difference.
The Coupe is quicker even though not much.
I know that wasn't what you were looking for but I just had to say it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.