Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Legend

On top of my engine, I managed to strip the threads for the bleeder bolt hosing.

(NOTE: THE BOLT IS FINE!)

Since the threads are striped the bleeder bolt can't really screw all the way down. What happens is when my car gets warm, I get antifreeze shooting out from the housing since the bolt can't fully close since the threads its screws into are stripped.

Is there a way I can fix this?

I hear its possible to retap it and then rethread it with Heli-Coi.

What's the best way to resolve this problem?

Retap?
Replease (If possible)
Other?

PS: When i get off work i will Post pics that i took if anyone needs to see.

· Registered
438 Posts
Darnell said:
Is it even worth trying to repair, can that whole part come off and be replaced or is that part of the engine block?

You can replace the part pretty easilly if you can find it....... I've been looking for a while to make my own part (I want my thermostat in the upper hose not the lower hose, I think that's a contributing factor to the BHG problem...)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a lot of work, will Heli-Coi work to patch up this problem?

How well do these things work on something that is not Metal?

I just ran to autozone they have all kind of sizes to tap and rethread, I need to bring in my bolt so they can see if they have my size.

Won't tapping the hole make it even bigger then it was before?

what will fill the gap and how secure would it be?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct me if i'm wrong but my current bleeder bolt has an oval shape like grove on the bottom of it to allow a snug like fit.

Will these new 10mm bolt be able to keep the pressure inside without having the oval like shape?

Any places to find what i need?

· Registered
2,843 Posts
Darnell said:
Correct me if i'm wrong but my current bleeder bolt has an oval shape like grove on the bottom of it to allow a snug like fit.

Will these new 10mm bolt be able to keep the pressure inside without having the oval like shape?

Any places to find what i need?
You can use teflon pipe tape to seal the threads of the bolt.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PSA said:
Tap it to 9mm by 1.25 then cut a 10mm by1.25 down to fit. Don't worry about having a bleeder since you can just take the bolt out to accomplish the same thing.
These are the same bolts that you find in a hardware store or sears?

Also, AFTER TAPPING the grove like shape will be destroyed allowing a standard 9mm bolt to replace it?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JTJohnny102 said:
how did u manage to strip that?
I have a seeping head, I had the car running for 3 years by bleeding the engine and readding antifreeze to flush out all the air in the system. Like any bolt if you open and close it too much you end up stripping it in the long run.

Right now the car runs fine, once the car gets warm, antifreeze starts shooting out of the top since i can't close the bleeder due to its theads being stripped out.

Anyone out there ever had to make a repair of this sort?

BTW: I can get the HG fixed, but this is now a new problem.

Anyone?

· Registered
39 Posts
hehehe....i've had the same problems too...due to bhg...i kept opening the bleeder screw till it stripped....I just jb weld it shut.....there are other ways of bleeding air out of coolant...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.