Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welps, time as come to purchase an RSX. Problem is that my parents only want AUTO and not manual. I need reasons trying to convince them to get the stick over the AUTO. Anyways, my father says that yes.. 20 yrs ago every1 drove manuals, but today no1 drives them becasue it is not needed. I tell him that in fact there is a growing number of manual Specific cars and the trend is growing. Please list some cars that are manual ONLY cars, or have an option of manual gearbox.

I will mention: RSX-S (6spd)
S-2000(6spd)
CL-S (6spd)
Altima (V6, 5spd)
Accord EX Coupe(2003, 6spd)
Maxima(5-6spd)
Sentra SER spec V(6spd)
LEGEND (5-6spd)
IS300(demand for stick caused a 5spd version)

are there anymore. preferably 2002-03 cars to show the growing trend of MANUAL cars.
thanks for your replies.

oh yea, reasons as to buy MANUAL over AUTO is greatly appreciated.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Generally, manual cars are cheaper, less expensive to maintaion and repair, and you can tell them it is a safer car since you are actually driving the car and shifting, hence paying attention to what you are doing rather than slapping it in D4/D5 and fiddling with the radio and cell phone and all that stuff. Of couse that is not entirely accurate, but it might help :D

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
ChrisK said:
Generally, manual cars are cheaper, less expensive to maintaion and repair, and you can tell them it is a safer car since you are actually driving the car and shifting, hence paying attention to what you are doing rather than slapping it in D4/D5 and fiddling with the radio and cell phone and all that stuff. Of couse that is not entirely accurate, but it might help :D
Manuals are less expensive; get better gas mileage; & with the way the auto trannies coming out of honda these days....

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
:D sounds like they want to be borrowing your car dude. Things might get shakey if they start suggesting colors and persuading you to opt for the optional cargo net..... ......."son it's just plain CONVENIENT, it keep all you mother grocer....I mean your odds and ends from rolling all over the place.understand son?........Yeah, sure. pops":rolleyes:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yea im sure! they are very hesistant to buy me a car..but its time i need one. ANy other reasons?
i will bring up that our engines (Hondas) are high revving, and all the measly 142torque is at 6K RPM (RSX), and the only way to get all that torque..say goin up a hill, would be to downshift and then feather the gas pedal to maintain/control/gain speed up a hill. On a AUTO, id have to floor it just to downshift, and once floored, i end up going too fast up the hill and id have to brake for the slower car infront of me. THat makes sense rite?
I find this very true with the AUTO Legend. so yea. any other cars that have manual or any other advantages?

RICDOGG!! i called you around 6, and left a message. That was when we arrived at sunsplash.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
AcuraGuy said:
haha yea im sure! they are very hesistant to buy me a car..but its time i need one. ANy other reasons?
i will bring up that our engines (Hondas) are high revving, and all the measly 142torque is at 6K RPM (RSX), and the only way to get all that torque..say goin up a hill, would be to downshift and then feather the gas pedal to maintain/control/gain speed up a hill. On a AUTO, id have to floor it just to downshift, and once floored, i end up going too fast up the hill and id have to brake for the slower car infront of me. THat makes sense rite?
I find this very true with the AUTO Legend. so yea. any other cars that have manual or any other advantages?

RICDOGG!! i called you around 6, and left a message. That was when we arrived at sunsplash.
Sorry bro :-(
I was "indisposed of" for 3 hours :) & i forgot to call you back.

·
Registered
847 Posts
also mention that auto will rob engine power and tell him that the current manual trannys feel very different than what he drove "20" years ago.

other vehicles to mention,

RX-7 Spirit R (Top of the line version offers 5MT only)
RX-7 TypeR
Evo VII (automatic version is labeled with GT-A and has less engine power)
Impreza STi (manual only)
Citroen Xsara VTS (WRC car, manual only)
and don't forget the up coming G35 & 350Z 6 speed tranny

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great guys! keep those ideas comming! i like the one about trannies being real different nowadays. See, i talked to my dad and he said nowadays manuals are no better or worse than AUTO, there really isnt a real big advantage of either. Thats basically true, but i really like the feel of driving a manual. i mean, you guys know what im talking bout!

Eric, u drive those go-kart thingies? we were about to, but the line was way too long.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Well the Manual has a big advantage power wise over an Auto. I'm not sure if you want to tell him that though hahah =)

One more thing, Isn't the Auto version of the RSX 160HP, while the 200HP Type-S version only comes in stick? Don't forget about that!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
ThaAcSwerver said:
Citroen Xsara VTS (WRC car, manual only) <- Not in the states:(
well, currently, none of the street version WRC cars are in the states anyways:p Glad that Evo VII is finally coming to the states next year and Subaru is really trying hard to get the STi here now:D Sad thing is that Evo VIII will be annouced in Japan early next year which is when US will just start selling VII.

·
Registered
847 Posts
AcuraGuy said:
great guys! keep those ideas comming! i like the one about trannies being real different nowadays. See, i talked to my dad and he said nowadays manuals are no better or worse than AUTO, there really isnt a real big advantage of either. Thats basically true, but i really like the feel of driving a manual. i mean, you guys know what im talking bout!

Eric, u drive those go-kart thingies? we were about to, but the line was way too long.
no different only when driven normally or as a grandpa:p As you said, going up hill in an auto is really annoying unless if you are driving an Audi, VW, or E46 M3 SMG:D Just keep mentioning the repair cost, the fuel cost, the fact that you'll be in more control, and "the fact that you'll like the car more and will thus take better care of it if it is a manual".

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahhh! good one clause! yea thats very true that i wil have more control over the car and i will treat it better. welps gotta tell him that tomorrow..since hes asleep. yea future, thats what im concerned about, if i do get an auto, then id be stuck with the 160HP vers. only. and no use telling my dad, since he would say, "well the less power the better! no1 needs 200HP.. i have a corolla and i do fine!" so i jus hope i get the manual..hence getting the Type-S.

but every1 mentions repair costs of a auto. personally we have dealt with very reliable Auto trannies. really no problems [knock on wood]. and with manuals, you would stil have to replace clutch around 90K miles anyways. so shouldnt AUtos be more reliable?

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
AcuraGuy said:
ahhh! good one clause! yea thats very true that i wil have more control over the car and i will treat it better. welps gotta tell him that tomorrow..since hes asleep. yea future, thats what im concerned about, if i do get an auto, then id be stuck with the 160HP vers. only. and no use telling my dad, since he would say, "well the less power the better! no1 needs 200HP.. i have a corolla and i do fine!" so i jus hope i get the manual..hence getting the Type-S.

but every1 mentions repair costs of a auto. personally we have dealt with very reliable Auto trannies. really no problems [knock on wood]. and with manuals, you would stil have to replace clutch around 90K miles anyways. so shouldnt AUtos be more reliable?
when i refferred to the reliability issues of Honda automatic trannies, i was referring to the new acuras that are having problems: CL, TL, Accord...

but also, you wont need to worry about carrying jumpercables & possibly being violated askin someone to jumpstart your car.ahahahahaha

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, i heard the prelude trannies wernt doing so well either. well ill look that up on the TL forums. caus that can be a good point to bring up.

jumpstarting? manual cars still need to be jumped.

·
Registered
847 Posts
you can start a manual car just by pushing it = ) stick it in 2nd gear and it's easy to push and start~

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you can start a manual car just by pushing it = ) stick it in 2nd gear and it's easy to push and start~
WHOA really?! hey! never get stranded again! wow cool. yea i researched what ricdogg said about bad Honda trannies. man is that true! at Clubrsx people are getting jerky starts in their manual and auto. Acura CL and TL members are having lots of trouble with AUTO transmissions slipping and rough shifting..some around just 1000 miles!

well time to tell my parents about how bad AUTO AUTO AUTO trannies are in Hondas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.