Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm looking into getting a project car possibly and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. this car will primarily be driven in the summer and the criteria is as follows: manual (6spd pref but not limited too), convertible, quick/fast, stock turbo (just so i can add a blowoff valve). it doesn't have to have a turbo or be BLAZINGLY fast but i'm really admant about the drop top and stick. oh yeah, between 10-12g's? this may be pushing it, but i'd like to see what you guys have in mind. my thoughts have been: honda s2000, toyota mr2 spyder, mitsu eclipse, supra <----- yeah since that's gonna be anywhere NEAR under even 25k. i've also been thinking american muscle, but i'd like to see what you guys think. suggestions PLEASE! thanks!!

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
if you wanted a drop top stick with some boost try a GS-T eclipse, they come with a drop top and a 5M. You could get it for more like 7 or so. and it would be turbo, and easily modable. spend the other 4 grand and get an engine built, and run some really fast times.

or, i think you could get an RX-7 for around that price, but you would have to hunt. that would handle really well, be twin turbo, and be a nice car. dont know about the drop to in the 3rd gen.

i think you could find a tt 300zx would have to be t-top, but could be modified easily, and would be very nice.

s2k is good if you like revs and want it to handle well. i would stay away from the mr2

·
know 'm ool
1,399 Posts
my friend picked a 95' NA supra SE, 5-sp hardtop for 14k, so if you really want a supra, and are willing to spend some time looking for one, you can probably find one eventually, just depends on how far you are willing to travel, and still is slightly over your budget and won't have a stock turbo, but u can always add one later rite?

you might be able to find a 1st gen WRX for around 15k as well.
i've always wanted the 1st gen eclipse GSX as a project car, some say the 1st gen eclipse motor is the best they ever put into an eclipse, so maybe look into that as well.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
My vote is for the GS-T convertible as well. I thought about building one a while back-all the aftermarket support you could want plus cheap to acquire.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Daddymac117 said:
whats a diahatsu charade? lol
oh an eclipse (still dont know.. think its a gsr lancer coupe).. you dont know what a dihatsu charade is.. lol.. where you been livin... old.. 88 charade

new.. 03 charade... their deisel version was once the most economical car in the world.. you can buy one called a sirion that has a 3 cyl turbo 700cc putting out about 100hp :D

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Toyota MR2 Turbo T top (Not the newer MR2-S [Spyder]). Not quite a convertable but once you remove the top it becomes basically the same. It comes turbocharged from the factory, 5-Speed only, but that shouldn't matter. Great aftermarket support, mid engine RWD, and can be made into a beast. It would be a great project car. 91-94 MR2s can be had all day in your price range. For $12K you might be able to get a newer year.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'd pick a 300Z Twin Turbo - that's teh most realiable car that you're going to get out of your choices... the GST Eclipse Convertible is cool too, but everything will break on it except the motor (and even then that may break)...

I'd forget an NA Supra - they're total slugs, and with the turbo GTE costing what it does, along with a trans/brake system, you may as well plan on spending over $10,000 for a swap - not worth it when you can buy a 300Z TT and bust that car's ass...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.