Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I think it would be interesting to know what parts everyone has replaced so far and at what mileage. That would give us an idea about when to expect to replace which part.

In my case, here is the list (from PO's records):

Flex pipe, 93k miles
Clutch, 84k miles
Timing belt, 90k miles
4 struts, 81k miles

Aside from that, everything else is original, except of course usual wear items.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
We'll see if this works....

Okay....you asked for it. Due to the mileage on my car, the list is long.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! Quite a list

Good thing you already had it ready! Thanks!

Wish I had such a detailed list! Something I forgot: the water pump was replaced together with the timing belt in mine.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Cap and Rotor at 110,000
Both front axles at 140,000
Starter at 144,000
Brake Master Cylinder at 146,000

I'm at 147K or so right now. BTW, clutch is a normal wear item, and timing belt is required maintenance.

·
Registered
541 Posts
hey paulo! how the hell?! that is a VERY detailed list! how did you do that?

Well i cant remeber the miles that we replaced the stuff. but here goes. our car has about 111,000miles

master cylinder
brakes/rotors all around
rear O2 sensor
axle boots (3)
head gaskets (2)
oil pan (2-3)
antenna
Flush ABS system (2)
many more that i cant think of right now.

note..these were all withing 1-2 years! That seems like a lot..and it is, but that is combined with our dealership RIPPING US OFF.

·
Registered
347 Posts
side cover gaskets at 190,000
timing belt at 190,000 ks
distributor at 195,000 ks

and thats all the major maintenance i've done
jus luck I guess

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Tranmission @ 115k (This is not typical, previous owner did not take care of it)
Inner Tie-Rod Boot (I think that's what is is called) @ 125k

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
AcuraGuy said:
hey paulo! how the hell?! that is a VERY detailed list! how did you do that?

<snip>
The previous owner of my car kept almost every repair order and receipt. I sat down one night and went thru them and put it all in an Excel spreadsheet (and you thought YOU were anal).

I took ownership in 11/2000 at 272k miles, so all the work past that date/mileage I've done myself.

The only two things that don't show; battery replacements and hoses. I'm sure it's had a couple batteries in the past 14 years. I'm pretty sure the hoses were replaced somewhere down the road too.

I truly believe that this is the reason for this car's durabilty and service. When something was wrong, it got fixed. When the "service due" signal came on, the car got serviced.

I keep records like this for all my vehicles. I'm too old to be able to commit this stuff to memory. :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've owned car since 139k miles. Original owner did a lot of maintenence on it.
I've done the following
142k: alignment
145k: tires
147k: Front pads and rotors
150k: Ignition switch (car sat for a week cause it wouldn't start!)
153k: 4 struts + alignment
154k: both side cover gaskets (did myself last week!)

That's it! The car needs other things like a new tranny, passenger window motor, water pump, and suspension bushings. It's been relatively low maintenence. I've had it since 9/99 and only put 15k on it since, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Collinc, what kind of struts you got? How do they ride/handle? What tires did you match them with? Did you change the strut mounts too? How much did you pay in labor and parts? Sorry if I'm asking too much. I'm thinking about which shocks to get. Thanks.

By the way,

I bought mine 11/2000 at 117,000 miles

120,000 timing belt, accessary belt, fan belt - (but turned out previous owner changed all the belts not too long before selling it - waste of money)
transmission flush, transmission cooler lines
126,000 Tustin Acura changed master cylinder
130,000 Santa Monica Acura recharged AC
135,000 rebuilt tranny at a cheapo place
140,000 front and rear brakes
143,000 Pasadena Acura changed front brake cable/lines
146,000 tranny shop fixed tranny again at no charge
changed both axles
this weekend will turn 150,000 - going to do major tune up and see if I need any other repairs -

looking forward to KYB GR2 or OEM struts at all corners and a set of Pirelli p4000 super touring as soon as the cheap Pep Boy Brand Futura tires the selling dealer put on wear out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have noticed that no one mentioned replacing their muffler. Is it because it's a normal wear item or you have forgot to mention it? They can't be that durable!

Mine is rusting and will need replacing soon. What are the choices? What can I expect to pay?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
torontojean said:
I have noticed that no one mentioned replacing their muffler. Is it because it's a normal wear item or you have forgot to mention it? They can't be that durable!

Mine is rusting and will need replacing soon. What are the choices? What can I expect to pay?
I replaced my catalytic converter at the same time as the axles. I live in California, what rust? :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
rust

Australia = very little rust. thank budda

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rust

You guys are lucky!
I've got no rust on the body, but it's an exception in Toronto! The PO had to apply an anti-rust treatment every year (which I intend to continue) to avoid it.
As for under the car, (muffler, cat, etc), it's a differnet story!

·
Registered
217 Posts
3 motors, last 13k miles.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
great list paulo57509

that list is great. I am thinking, My old 8088 Personal PC back then could not have kept up with that list! lol
You must had wrote them down and then enter them in!

Great list.

·
Registered
583 Posts
88stdsdn said:
looking forward to KYB GR2 or OEM struts at all corners and a set of Pirelli p4000 super touring as soon as the cheap Pep Boy Brand Futura tires the selling dealer put on wear out
Hey man,
I have the GR2s and like them. They ride pretty well overall. Not a stiff hi performance or squishy. Kinda middle of the road feel, but a "little" stiffer than stock (course the Intrax and 17s make a "little" difference too):D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used to keep a log of all the work I did on the Legend so I could refer back. However, during the summer I worked on it every day and I stopped doing it.

Before I owned it:
30k,60k,90k service

o2 sensors
MAP sensor
cat
fuel pump
driver side door handle

161k:
front and rear o2
plug wires, plugs
starter
162k:
front and rear o2 (yeh again, turned out harness was bad, they were free after confusing the clerk hehe)
163k:
IAT sensor
fuel pump (wasn't broken, just noisy)
2 fuel injectors
cat
rear view mirror innards

In addition, tons of little things, especially rubber parts. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but boy was it annoying rounding it up when my only transportation was a bicycle (no smog no sticker).

As you can see, I replaced stuff that the owners replaced after the 90k service. Buy quality parts! You buy the cheapest aftermarket POS and it will go tits up in a year or two.

·
Registered
658 Posts
88stdsedan: I got Gabriel GasRyder VSTs for $59/pc and a friend of mine did the work. He just replaced the struts, nothing else. When all was said and done, the struts cost me about $350. Then the alignment at Sears was $50. Car rides fine. After 150k the original struts were shot, so this is a big improvement.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts