Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ya'll! Can soeone please tell me a little bit about springs and shocks and what to get. I'm going to be getting my first check this friday and want to know which springs or shocks should I get? Should get springs before shocks or shocks before springs???I know I won't have nearly enough for it but my dad will be helping me out with the price...(my 18th B-day 03-01-02).
Anyway with springs I've heard of Eibachs, H&R'S, and ground controls. With shocks I've heard of Konis. Hear is where the problem is....I love the stock ride of the vehicle to death and want to keep it that way but I'm willing to copromise with soe sort of way to adjust the hieght of my vehicle fairly easily from slamming it front and back(I'll accept bumpy stiff ride) and adjust it back to stock(immac stock ride or better!). Help me out will ya!:( Please use english and not "suspension slang". Thanks!

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
If you like the stock ride and want to keep it as close as possible, then the Ground Controls may not be your best bet as they are known to stiffen the ride quite a bit.

The decision between Eibach and H&R comes down to two things: How much you want to drop, and how much stiffer you're willing to go.

The Eibachs drop around 1" while the H&Rs drop about 1.5" while being a little stiffer (though I don't believe it to be too much stiffer) than the Eibachs.

Of course, the only one of the three that is height adjustable is the Ground Controls.

You will have the ability to make some height adjustment with the Koni using their spring perch settings.

As to which to get first, it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is to try to put both the springs and shocks on at the same time.

It is not recommended to install lowering springs on your stock shocks as they would wear them out prematurely (meaning that you will have to install new shocks anyway).

If you will be satisfied with a mild drop, you can get Konis and use them with your stock springs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You know what I have had ALL of these springs on my car plus I had the Weapon-r coils as well.
(all with koni struts-set low perch front (half turn) and middle perch rear (very hard do to system weight in back, don't like bounce)) in order that they were on my car

KONI'S = Can be high adjusted (about .75 inch) and the comfort can be adjusted too(how hard or soft you want them)

1. EIBACH PRO KIT - these springs were ok except that I hated the drop. Car looked sweet at the back but the front looked like I rasied it up. I ended up heating the front springs to drop it and it still looked to high. It is very stiff as well. $250

2. Weapon-r (in "SLANG" terms = A BAG OF SH!T) they were really bad, problem being that they are universal and not made for the legend weight and spring rate. The car bounced everywhere and you could feel every bump (I MEAN BUMPS YOU COULD NOT EVEN SEE). I had them on for one week and then they were removed, I only drove the car about 2 miles all week. I gave them to a friend with an accord and they work much better.$300.00

3.H&R'S = the BEST springs by far. I got about a 2 inch drop (1 finger gap between wheel and fender) and the ride was AMAZING. MY FATHER TOLD ME THAT THIS WAS THE SUSPENSION THAT ACURA SHOULD HAVE PUT ON THE LEGEND TO BEGIN WITH, and for him to say that was unbelieveable to me. It was just that good. The only reason why I sold them was because they I need to raise my car up for the winter, but it was the biggest mistake I think I made.$275

4.Ground control coil = they are good because they are adjustable. However, I was kind of pissed as the rubber mounts that the supply with the kit (that are un-breakable) ripped after only one week(the two front ones). The ride is good too, but I still like the H&R's better. $400+$40 for koni bracket so it fits on the koni struts.

All of these were installed by approved shop's so I did not make a mistake when installing. The prices are just an average.

And these are just my opinion's and it is up to you to make the best choice for yourself.

GOOD LUCK

AKA LEGENDMAP

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
speaking of subjects for DUMMIES, i thought that i had seem them all, and what do i see at the mall two days ago

"Sex for Dummies":eek:

i'm not shure who in the world would pick that one up:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
SpeedDemon said:

Do you have the Konis?
Yes, I got the koni's and they have two perch's on the front one (one for factory high and one to set it about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch lower than where the factory spring sets)

The rear have 3 one to raise the back up the 1/2 - 3/4 inch higher, middle = factory and the low perch about 1/2 - 3/4 inch lower.

There are also setting for ride comfort, meaning you can adjust how hard or soft you want to set the strut.

I got them in group buy from shox.com (I think it was March)

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you will be satisfied with a mild drop, you can get Konis and use them with your stock springs. [/B]

If this dummy understand correctly, if I only want a mild drop (as I do), I can go with the Konis only without having to include lowering springs?

I appreciate the lowering options GC's provide, but I continue to hear the ride is a bit rough. Being I will be cruising, I prefer the better ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have H&R's with Konis at the same perches as eyecandy and the ride is very close to stock in a sedan. Even passengers in my car comment on how smooth it is for a lowered car.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
HATE_ME_NOW said:
speaking of subjects for DUMMIES, i thought that i had seem them all, and what do i see at the mall two days ago

"Sex for Dummies":eek:

i'm not shure who in the world would pick that one up:D
Avarice just bought that book, he said its great!!! Lots of pictures and easy to read steps. I think he also ordered the optional inflatable self-help inflatable doll.

He's also selling "Masturbating for Dummies" if anyone is interested. Its in fair condition, slightly overused.

·
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I know what I'll do then

According to what I've read from you experienced guys I will purchase the Koni shocks first and put them on giving me a mild drop and when I save more money I'll get some H&R's. These seem to be real popular. How could I adjust the hieght if I had Koni's and H&R's?Do I have to slap the stock springs back on or could I adjust the shock to a higher perch? I wouldn't mind doing it the day before the big snow storm arrives as long as it wasn't too time consuming and to hard to do.My weather guy's pretty good out here on saying if snow is coming. Do the koni's blow out real easy... What the best set up perch wise....All low perch all around or what?? Let me know!Thanks

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
yeah how easy is it to adjust the konis anyway?? how long does it take?? and if u got ground controls.............how easy is it to adjust that?? how long it takes?? can u jus walk around to each corner and turn the locking perch or sumthing and it adjusts up or down mad easy??

i think im gonna go with h and rs and konis

·
Registered
327 Posts
Adjusting should be done BEFORE you install then. Meaning you if you adjust your koni's and install and are not happy with the ride you have to REMOVE THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN. Remove them completely from the car and then even remove the springs.

When I had the koni's and H&R's I set it with the rear on middle perch and half a turn on hard (did not want it too bouncy as I have a very heavy system and if it was too soft it would "spring" over every bump. On the front I had it on the low perch first, but with stock tire's it was too low (almost no figure gap) so I went to the top perch and it was PERFECT with the koni's set on a little less than half on the soft side.

Adjust them once before you put them on as like I side you have to remove the entire thing to adjust the koni's. With the GC's you just have to jack up whatever end you are working on (front or back) and open the 3/8 allan key and adjust the coil up or down for ride height adjustment. Make sure you RAISE/JACK both sides up at the same time (rear = right and left and then front = right and left) DO NOT just jack one side up and adjust as it will cause SERIOUS damage to your Ground controls according to there instructions and there tech guys.

GOOD LUCK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts