Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all you suspension Guru's, I have a challenge for you...

...I'm going to test your G1 suspension knowledge.
Here is what I have waiting to be installed on my '88 Legend Sedan:
B&G lowering springs: 1.4" drop all around
KYB for front and rear
Strut mounts and bumper stops to be ordered soon.

I also have a set of Bilstein for the front. I didn't want to install them and mix/match my rears (Bilstein doesn't make rears for the '88) with something else. Anyway, I got a set of Bilstein rears for an 89-90 model year coupe and sedan. Long and short of it is, I would prefer to use the Bilsteins all around.

So my question(s) is(are), does anyone know:
1) How difficult it would be?
2) and what parts involved would be involved in changing the
rear suspension of my '88 set up to an 89-90 set up so that I could use the Bilsteins?
3) Is this a totally screwball idea or could it be done with moderate effort and might actually work?
4) Or should I just give up and go buy an 89-90 to go along with my new shocks?

Don't everyone jump to answer the last question so fast
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey, I have a feeling everyone will say its nearly impossible (and too expensive) to change up your rear suspension from double wish bone to the 88 sedan's. So, you should go with the proper stuff for your particular suspension (KYB's all around).

AND...I would LOVE to buy your bilsteins if you don't end up using them.:D i've been looking around for them (trying to get them through GB#2, but Gil hasn't replied to my emails for a week...)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked into the sachs/boge option, but didn't find any other legend owners that had them. However, I did see more with the KYB's which I why I got them. And the impression I got from the sachs was that it was a replacement shock. Whereas the KYB has a slight performance edge above the sachs.

LegendHI...Hang tight, Gil will get back to you. When I got my KYB through him on GB#1, not only did he keep in contact with me, but he doesn't put a time limit on his GB's. I don't have a problem selling the Bilsteins if I don't use them. I can't gaurantee how soon I'll know, but I am trying to get this question answered quickly since I REALLY WANT TO GET MY SUSPENSION DONE!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
386 Posts
HERES WHAT I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called the Acura dealer near me and talked to a parts guy regarding this situation and he told me that NOTHING is interchangeable from an 88 sedan to a 90 coupe on the rear suspension.:(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer!

That blows!!:( But I knew it was probably farfetched going in...Thanks for the footwork Mr Bigs.!! I didn't think about calling the dealer, just thought I'd try the board.
I put a call into a friend of friend of a friend (kinda thing) who knows the G1 legends well and am waiting for a call back from him...
SO we'll see what happens here soon:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well, I hope this project goes well for you. Remember you have a buyer if you ever think of selling your Bilsteins...that would be me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts