Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ... okay my 96', since i've had it, .... i've had rub (only to the plastic piece in fender well but still rub) in the front driver side with both 16" accord rims on 205/60/16's AND 15" g2 rims w/ 215/65/15's. okay - now with my 19's on 225/40's there is NO rub up front but am now getting rub in the passenger rear only. do you guys suggest those spacers that basically keep your springs stiff (for the rear only) or are those just plain wrong? would 35 series probably do the trick here? or maybe even 215/35's? keep in mind these are 8" wide rims. heck is it time for new suspension all the way around? i know you guys know your stuff so any suggestions would be really appreciated as i am ready to get done what needs to be done right for it to ride properly. i mean the ride is smooth, the rims sit pretty nice looks-wise & it actually feels better than the 60 or 65 series tires, but i can't have that rear right side rubbin!!! any suggestions will be appreciated & definitely looked into.

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it's not an all-the-time rub - only while turning left with a passenger. maybe i'm just tripping off of something that isn't that big of a deal!!! i still might just put spacers in there so that i can fit 24's (but with the 19's still & just all that extra space) just for a week or so for fun.

·
Banned
3,429 Posts
well it's not an all-the-time rub - only while turning left with a passenger. maybe i'm just tripping off of something that isn't that big of a deal!!! i still might just put spacers in there so that i can fit 24's (but with the 19's still & just all that extra space) just for a week or so for fun.
You do know that spacers push your wheels out towards the edges of the car right? Why would you run a spacer on an 8" wide wheel?

Either way, it sounds like the offset on the wheels isn't high enough for your first scenario. Your second scenario sounds like the wheels are just too wide and the offset isn't high enough. An 8" wide wheel is going to require a +45 (+42 if you want an aggressive fit) or higher to fit properly.

Not mention, your car is 12 years old at this point so you should at the minimum get your suspension checked out.

24's? why?

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
/\ what THAT guy just said. +1, Haven't I been telling you all week about how our cars require high offset wheels else they tend to rub. and your suspension is stock. if you where lowered, like alot of us. you'd be rubbing MUCH harder.

·
I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
I think he was being facetious about the 24s, calm down guys.

The spacers he's talking about is spring spacers, not wheel spacers.

as for the rubbing problem, the only thing you should do is roll the fenders or get a smaller tire. at 19x8 i'd get a 225 35 or a 215 40 your 225/40s are a pretty big tire especially being Michelin (?) Michelin tires run a bit big for their tire size denotation.

The RL has way more room to work with than the Legend. you couldn't even begin to stuff a 19x8 in a legend with minimal rubbing without pretty heavy fender modsor offsets in the 50s (ridiculously high)...the RL has room enough to swallow those pretty well.

anyway, yea I'd say roll the fenders or have them shaved...the japanese have a saying that translates into something like "Fender lips were created to be cut down"

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
b+o thank you. you seem to be the only one who realizes i am 100% serious and plan on getting 24's tomorrow. but uhhhhmmmm...... yes both excellent ideas. i'll go with the 35 tires first (I think prob solved right there). & like i said it isn't as bad as maybe i initially made it out to be, but nonetheless some rubbing when turning right when extra weight is in the car.
...& alperovich ... thanks as always!!! & oh yea the offset IS 42.

·
Registered
107 Posts
my car is running 225/35/20 on +38 offset(7.5 wide)I use to rub alot when I had stock springs(saggy as 100 year old tits) but after coilover setup and fender roll no more rubbing in thr rear but slight in front(my car is pretty low) +42 sounds kinda low for 8.0 wide rims.A pretty good fender roll,after market suspension and maybe thinner tires would do the trick but then u run the risk of bending a rim.

·
i love the rear view
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
calirl - yea man good lookin - thanks. i def. have decided on i'm thinking k-sports??? - & 35 tires to start. if that doesn't solve - fender roll. i really like the rims & i know the rubbing, as it is pretty minimal & only on that 1 rear tire, will be gone with the first 2 & if not all 3 of your suggestions. thanks much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.