Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading on all the group buys such, I hit the web to figure out what each one does. The Legend, comes with an "Anti-Roll" bar, that's a Sway Bar right? and is also called a Sablizer Bar? (this is to reduce body roll isn't?)

What about a strut bar? What's the purpose of it?

Basically I want some info on what each one does, and if there should be any obvious shape differences between them.

Thanks

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Yup, the anti-roll bar is a sway bar, and is used to reduce body roll.

The strut bars are used to stiffen the chassis to reduce body flex.

They do different things, and are probably best used with each other.

Sway bars attach to the underside of the car and act almost like a spring to counter the roll, whereas strut bars attach to the tops of the strut towers and act as a stiffening brace.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which, and how many do our stock Legends come with? What's the black bar in the engine bay that's there? I always assumed that was the sway bar... but it's not on the underside, so is that a strut bar??

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
That black bar that goes across the engine bay is the factory strut bar.

I believe that we have front and rear sway bars too. To find the rear sway bar, look at your rear axle from the back of your car. There is a bar that goes across from one end to the other maybe about an inch or so in diameter.

As for the front ones, those I'm not sure about. :)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, now I understand. How much would an aftermarket sway bar be (outside the group by) for a G2 Legend?

Sounds like something I would want SOME day, but have no cash for right now. Are there any "down sides" to sway bars?

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
There are no aftermarket sway bars that I know of at this time.

As far as downsides, I'm not sure, but I guess you can have too much of a good thing (i.e. I believe that they can be TOO stiff to where control of the vehicle becomes difficult).

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn, I'm going to be out of luck then. Oh well, hopefully, they'll be another Group Buy or something in a couple of months.

G

·
Are you serious?!?!?!

Our cars have factory Anti-Sway Bars!?!??!

I'm kinda skeptical on this as I have never heard of this before, if so I'm very happy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, our cars do have factory anti sway bars front and rear. They can be upgraded but it would have to be a custom job with specially bent bars. I think the stock ones are just fine, and I'd try to upgrade the strut bar in the front or make a strut bar for the rear.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To conclude:

Sway Bar = Anti Roll Bar = Stablizer Bar, reduces side roll/body roll
Strut Bar = Stiffening Brace

?

·
Registered
583 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
To conclude:

Sway Bar = Anti Roll Bar = Stablizer Bar, reduces side roll/body roll
Strut Bar = Stiffening Brace

?
Yup. and you can have both on front and rear. and to make it more confusing :D , on some cars (usually competition) you can have top and bottom strut bars front and rear (4) to tighten it up a little more...:D

Bigger sway bars will make a difference in stiff handling.
up to the point of beating the pi$$ out of you on the street.
How it works is as stated above, basicaly a spring so when one wheel goes up into the body, it pulls the opposite side wheel up, which has the effect of lowering the car due to gravity (thats when you bottom out. :rolleyes:) If the wheel drops down it pulls the opp. side down and the car body is up in the air. (thats when it feels like a boat):D

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up Future because I was getting confused on what the sway bar was and strut bar and stabilizer. But now its all clear to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts