Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made 4 trips back and forth between Orange County, CA and Las Vegas in my 93 black/black LS 6 speed coupe over the past 10 days. Once out on the 15 in the desert averaged about 90 - turning fewer than 3000 rpms (95 mph = 3000 rpms). Averaged 25 mpg. My black beauty has 137,000 miles on it now. What a sweet riding car.

Every once in a while I wonder what was going on in the Honda corporate mind when they decided to discontinue the Legend. I didn't know crack smoking was a problem in Japanese high corporate circles. Can't think of any other explanation.

There just isn't another luxury performance coupe out there that I'd rather have than a mint 6 speed coupe.

Just thought I'd share.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Thats a cool story bro. I still dont' understand why Acura/Honda decided to stop producing the Legends but at least we know that we have one wonderful machine thats capable of doing alot and is a work of art.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Avarice

I got it new in August of '93. Took my perfect 90 white base 5 speed coupe in for service, saw a black on black 6 speed 93 LS coupe and heard myself say, "I'll take it." Terrific opening move for negotiations.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lucky or wanted it BADDDD

Yeah, I passed on a mint 94 white LS coupe 6 speed before I got my 91 5 speed coupe. Love her though...especially mint at $7K with 138k miles. The fricker with the 94 would not part with it for less than $18K with 80K miles. Too rich for my conservative engineer blood.
The 91 type one does 3000 RPM at 82 MPH...23 MPG...your thoughts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Likeparty

What's to say? A mint 5 speed Gen II coupe - spectacular ride. The problem with 6 speed LS coupes is that they are so rare, owners tend to value them at really high prices. My dealer says he's seen 3 6-speed LS coupes in the past 5 years. When I think of selling mine, I realize I wouldn't part with it for less than a ridiculous amount of money. Problem is that there isn't anything out there I'd rather drive.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
They didn't stop producing Legends. They just changed Generation, and made a bad decision in my opinion on Redesign etc...name was also Rebranded RL in North America.

Like it or not the RL is the 3rd Gen Legend :mad:

http://www.honda.co.jp/LEGEND/

Same with the Acura Integra, generation chagned, style changed, and now it's known as the RSX in North America. However, it really is also the Integra.

Integra (RSX):
http://www.honda.co.jp/INTEGRA/

Integra Type-R (RSX Type-S? or a version not yet imported to the U.S.A):
http://www.honda.co.jp/INTEGRATYPE-R/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the RL just doesn't make it as a Legend. The Legends were low slung, high revving, great handling, luxury sports sedans/coupes offered with slick shifting manual transmissions. The RL is a tall, lumbering, low revving, undistinguished, geriatric sedan offered only with an automatic transmission. The RL is the car Buick should have made, not Acura. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Dave C!

Thanks for telling me about this site! Nice to be back.

2x6

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
2x6spds said:
Well, the RL just doesn't make it as a Legend. The Legends were low slung, high revving, great handling, luxury sports sedans/coupes offered with slick shifting manual transmissions. The RL is a tall, lumbering, low revving, undistinguished, geriatric sedan offered only with an automatic transmission. The RL is the car Buick should have made, not Acura. Just my opinion.
While I personally strongly dislike the RL. I also don't feel the RL lives up the to previous Legend Standards. While it doesn't meet those standards, and I feel good that I don't have to call it a Legend in North America. It's still, the 3rd Gen Legend, regardless. That's it's production name, and that's what it was meant to take over. They went the wrong path with the car in my opinion, but that's still the Legend's Lil'Bro. I believe the CL and TL (Saber) spawned out after they knew the Legend base was not moving in the same direction as the company's decision.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, FutureX, Honda calls the RL a third generation Legend in foreign lands. That they thought Legend owners would accept it as a Legend is why I think Honda corporate took to smoking crack.

The problem with the RL is not only that it changed direction from the Legend, worse, it is not an exceptional car. I'm not sure what their target vehicle was, but if it was the Lexus LS, or the Mercedes E class, then the RL fell far short. Obviously, Honda picked the Buick Park Avenue as the target.

What makes Honda great is that they pick a segment and build a car which is dynamically pure (handles and accelerates at the head of the pack, brakes somewhere in the middle) and which is superior to the best of the competition. Their effort with the Legend succeeded. Their effort with the RL failed.

JMHO

·
Registered
69 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
They didn't stop producing Legends. They just changed Generation, and made a bad decision in my opinion on Redesign etc...name was also Rebranded RL in North America.

Like it or not the RL is the 3rd Gen Legend :mad:

http://www.honda.co.jp/LEGEND/

Same with the Acura Integra, generation chagned, style changed, and now it's known as the RSX in North America. However, it really is also the Integra.

Integra (RSX):
http://www.honda.co.jp/INTEGRA/

Integra Type-R (RSX Type-S? or a version not yet imported to the U.S.A):
http://www.honda.co.jp/INTEGRATYPE-R/
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blasphemy. I refuse to acknowledge such basphemy...

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
mushskid said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blasphemy. I refuse to acknowledge such basphemy...
LoL exactly, most people rather not acknowledge that the RL is the 3rd Gen Legend. Let's pretend I never said anything!! :D

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I myself came close to purchasing a 97 RL until I saw a Legend and fell in love with it and after reading up on both the legend and RL, i said to myself, why did they stop making the Legend and started making those nasty a$$ RL. I personally don't like the RL at all, its just a big a$$ boat that looks too boring. I just hope that those people at Acura get their heads back together and start designing cars that are worth something.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I kinda like the newer style RL. You know the ones with the HID's... I wouldn't personally buy it though. It looks classy I think but the ones before the facelift is unattractive. I wouldn't mind buying my father a newer style RL after I graduate college.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have been in love with the legend when I 1st saw it. I never could imagine that one day I would be the lucky owner of a 2 drs black with 2 tones interior. I was looking for a car in the daily news when I saw the AD. So iI pick up the phone and call the EX-owner and he told me that the car was park in his father shop and to stop by around 9pm to view it, with sound scary to me: never look at a car at night before. So the next day I was there, met with him and his pop, he had to sale it because he was paying too much on carnote and insurance. 91LS 2 drs with 120000. Payed $6000 for it: $3500 for 1st payement and and 2 more of 2k and 500 later. No tax, or interested. It was the best month of March I had in years.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2x6spds said:
Hi Likeparty

What's to say? A mint 5 speed Gen II coupe - spectacular ride. The problem with 6 speed LS coupes is that they are so rare, owners tend to value them at really high prices. My dealer says he's seen 3 6-speed LS coupes in the past 5 years. When I think of selling mine, I realize I wouldn't part with it for less than a ridiculous amount of money. Problem is that there isn't anything out there I'd rather drive.
I understand on all fronts...and agree. The sad part is the poor misguided kid that had the 94 wanted a Nissan 300 bi-turbo or some such nonsense. As to finding type 2 6 speeds, I drove 4 in four months before "settling" on my type 1 5 speed. They are out there, you just need to widen the search. Three were colors other than white which meant they would need to be either mint or a super deal (they were neither) and the white one is the one I described earlier. I wanted a car that I could enjoy and love without ANY depreciation (I feel safe at under $8K invested) for a couple of years or longer. I will be adding a Corvette Z06 to my garage in July of 2003...that is all the depreciating assets my conservative nature will allow me to invest in!:p

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I will agree with Legendtype2 I almost came close to trading in my 95'GS for the 2002 RL black on black with on star I must admit I do like the changes made to the car, much better than the earlier years and the fact they come stock with HID's. As I said I came close. My car rest at 115K at this time, which was the reason I was about to get rid of it, I'm one of those guys that gets rid of cars at 100k only because I never liked dealing with the type of maintenance issues that come up at that time, anyway when my car hit 100k I was ready to do my thing, so off to the Acura dealership my wife and I went to possibly get the RL. We were greeted at the door and asked what we were in the market for, I told him we're looking at the RL, He then asked what we were driving I told him, a 95 Legend GS. his response was the reason we walked out with the keys to my Legend. He was like "Wow, you have one of those, I never seen one before, can I look at it". As he was drooling over my super dupper clean Legend he mentioned that only two percent were made, he also told us that they had a long waiting list for all Legends and that he would be more then happy to take mine, in fact he himself wanted it. We both (wife and I) looked at the RL and said NNNNNaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. That salesmen brought us to our senses. The RL is just to Old for us. Thats it you guys, the RL targets the older executive (50+) crowd that are fed up with the unreliability of american cars. So here's the decision my wife and I made, If we trade the Legend or get rid of it, its replacement will be a Lexus LS430 (more mature but..) if we keep the Legend it will be a second car to the MDX the wife really like it. Why not a (younger) GS400, too small for me I like big roomy cars. Ok I've said enough...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts