Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Symptom 1a:
Tonight when driving home, I noticed the battery indicator flipping on and off, staying on when I pressed the brake, etc. Then it stayed on solid until I parked and restarted the car 15 minutes later. After that it did not come back.

Symptom 1b:
While I noticed the battery flashing, I decided to raise the steering wheel to get a better look at it. The battery light came on solid, and my tach and speedometer dropped to zero. (No trouble driving or with any lights, though.) When I let go of the button, they went back to normal operation. The same thing happened when I opened the sunroof, BUT ONLY when the sunroof had finished opening and I held the button a moment too long. Again, the same with closing it.

These symptoms both disappeared after I parked the car for 15 minutes while shopping for groceries. Nathan also gave me receipts for the new battery he had put in and the rebuilt alternator.

Related data:
Custom work in the car includes the flywheel/clutch, and an aftermarket alarm. There was an aftermarket stereo in the car, but Nathan put the stock one back in.

Car felt a little sluggish starting yesterday morning. Otherwise things seem normal. Only one other thing I noticed, there is a high pitched low volume whining noise when I plug in my cell phone charger.

It came back today, and this is what I noticed:

All of the above electrical symptoms happen QUICKLY when the headlights are on slowly when the parking lights are on (after the headlights have been on), if I don't turn them on, It doesn't appear to happen. With the headlights, it behaves as described. With the parking lights on, the battery indicator will flash, but it takes some effort to get it to do so. (Holding the moonroof continuously for a few seconds, not just a moment too long.)

Lastly, it is not 100% consistent, as it did not happen this evening, even though I had my headlights on, radio on, and was playing with the windows and moon roof the entire trip home. However, I also had my heater on this evening.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Cell phone charger noise is a normal ground loop issue so down worry about that.

I would say:

Make sure battery terminals are secure. Then, replace your battery.

If that dosen't help, I would suppose it is your alternator.

Other than that it could be the aftermarket alarm acting up. It is rather strange that your cluster went out, but your lights did not. However, the light coming on when you closed the sunroof indicates a problem with the charging system.

· what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
arnach said:
Cell phone charger noise is a normal ground loop issue so down worry about that.
Any way to handle that? I HATE this.
arnach said:
I would say:
Make sure battery terminals are secure. Then, replace your battery.
If that dosen't help, I would suppose it is your alternator.
I found the alternator rebuild receipt, it is just a week or 2 old. The battery is also about a month old. :(
arnach said:
Other than that it could be the aftermarket alarm acting up. It is rather strange that your cluster went out, but your lights did not.
Are the manuals (PDF) on the site (faq thread) close enough for a '94 that I can try to trace wiring and see what is happening?
arnach said:
However, the light coming on when you closed the sunroof indicates a problem with the charging system.
How reliable is this as an indicator of a faulty charging system? What other components does the charging system have that could produce similar symptoms to a faulty alternator?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.