Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil in my new (to me) '89 Legend sedan, with 155k miles on it. Having studied various posts I decided to go synthetic, in spite of the issue of leaks... (hey, it leaks a bit anyway!). I added a quart of auto trans fluid before changing it (removing the dipstick to alliviate any pressure due to overfilling it), drive it 20 miles, then drained the old oil, removed the old purolator filter (it was even the wrong size...tsk tsk...) and spun on tight a Honda oil filter.

Then I filled it up with 4 qts. of Castrol Syntec 5w-50 (I didn't know there was such a weight) and also poured in a pint of some of that Restore stuff folks have said good things about. The valve noise is now gone, and its so quiet its hard to tell the car is running. I'll let y'all know about it leaking...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Use 10 w40 for high mile engines. Synthetic oil is garbage and will gunk up the inside of your engine.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mod89Coupe said:
Use 10 w40 for high mile engines. Synthetic oil is garbage and will gunk up the inside of your engine.
He already knew that. Good choice with the 5W30, and if its leaking anyway, if it gets any worse, the solution is the same.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Plan on doing an early oil change or at least an oil filter change. One of our guys have had a bad experience

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
bob b said:
Plan on doing an early oil change or at least an oil filter change. One of our guys have had a bad experience
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The synthetic oil will dislodge a lot of particles from the surfaces in the engine. There will be an increased amount of "crud" running through the system, which could cause damage if it is left in there. So take bob b's advice, and use an OEM filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using an OEM filter even though the Acura dealer charged me nearly 15 bucks for the thing! It just says Honda on it--so am I correct in assuming Acura & Honda filters are the same? There's a Honda dealer nearby, so that would be good to know.

Thanks to Bob for the advice on changing the oil soon--I never would have considered the extra crud factor from the synth cleaning...

One other question: I don't have service records for the car, and I just don't know if the Timing Belt was changed at 90K miles.... Is there any way to tell by inspecting the engine?

Maybe y'all'd recommend changing the timing belt anyhow at 155k miles?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a similar situation in regards to the timing belt. I do have receipts but they aren't very clear on what was changed. There are a bunch from an Acura dealer with just 'service' written on them and they appear to be 30k, 60k, and 90k services. But I'm not taking any chances... I will change it this spring break (car is at 164k now).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Synthetic BLEND

Is the crud a problem using a synthetic BLEND? I just changed my oil about 300 miles ago using Castrol Synthetic Blend. Should I change the filter soon? How soon?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aftermarket Timing Belt

Hey guys,

I know that the original acura timing belt for a G2 Legend is supposed to be replaced at 90k. How long do you think an aftermarket TB will last (or better when should it be replaced). I recently bought a 92 Legend Sdn with 118k, whose TB was changed at 78K.

Thanx.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Timing Belt

artemike said:
Hey guys,

I know that the original acura timing belt for a G2 Legend is supposed to be replaced at 90k. How long do you think an aftermarket TB will last (or better when should it be replaced). I recently bought a 92 Legend Sdn with 118k, whose TB was changed at 78K.

Thanx.
Suggest you post this question in the G2 forum. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
So let me this straight, you put in a quart of the Honda ATF with the oil already in the car, then run it for about 15 or 20 min, then drain it and replace the oil and filter. This is supposed to get rid of that god awful valve tap on cold starts?

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts