Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tach is reading twice what it should. This double triggering happened years ago but resolved itself without my interference. The tach is doing it again. What causes this and how is it resolved. Alexei once said the igniter might be faulty. I exchanged mine with another. No change. Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
400 Posts
i never had that prob before or seen it. i think the rpm guage is different than the speedometer guage. i think the speedo guage connects to the tranny and the rpm guage doesnt have a cable, its electronic. i think maybe the tach twisted within the guage, it sounds like it still works, its just at an offset. when u turn the car off does it go back to 0rpm? or maybe ur car is running at that high of an rpm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting.
It's certainly electronic. The needle parks at zero at rest and begins from there. It's doubling the revs. for example it's reading between 1400 and 1500 at idle and about 5500 at 100kph.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys I do not believe i am the only one experiencing double triggering!! Would appreciate any input from fellow 'sufferers' or u guys with electronic knowhow or any one with an opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the crazy thing isn't it? Mine has run true for a week and would intermittantly double. Like u said nothing seems amiss but i am nearly positive it has nothing to do with the tach itself. Might be the coil mmmm?.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
From my experance with Civics with the same probabem (or simiar problems: stuck needle, etc), check the wires on the distributor. On the civics, integras, and accords, typically one wire is loose (blue wire). Try looking at the distributor because that is where the RPM gauge should be hooked up to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
tach. hi reading

The Helms manual shows that the tach.,cruise & couple of other things get their signal from another winding on the coil, not the igniter. It shows an ohm meter check, I'll do that chk. & post results.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: tach. hi reading

johnny3 said:
The Helms manual shows that the tach.,cruise & couple of other things get their signal from another winding on the coil, not the igniter. It shows an ohm meter check, I'll do that chk. & post results.
Just curious, if you're still around, how did it turn out? Does the tach read from the coil or the distributor? I would also guess it would be the distributor. Thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
hey guys, I had the same exact problem. I even posted about it but everyone said it was probably a faulty tach. The problem started a year ago and it only has happened 2 or 3 times ever since then. It goes away on its own, I never did anything to fix it. So knock on wood, its been fine for a couple of months. I think it started on the highway when I was doing 70 and the tach was at like almost redline. Crazy !

So keep driving, it should go away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look at the humour in it is that just as you get into the habit of dividing the revs by 2 it corrects itself. Drives me crazy to figure what is responsible!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
yeah but it still gets me worried. What if I am really redlining around 8000 rpm when doing 80, hehe.

Then after a lot of thinking it goes away .

·
Registered
102 Posts
tach high

Yeah, mine does it sometimes too. Makes me do a double take even though mine's an A/T. I'm still looking for the problem, but Greylegend suggested: "try cleaning the contact points for the screws on the back of the cluster and also clean the connector plugs in the back of the cluster. Using an electronic contact cleaner is best." Maybe it will help --- I haven't had time to try it. Keep us posted.

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts