Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago my legend got this weird starting problem. No manual or thread in here really describes my problem.

Basically it takes 3 seconds of cranking in order for the car to start, been this way for a long time and Im afraid its going to burn up my starter. No matter what the weather is like or what time of day or how long Ive been driving. Can someone tell me what my issue is?

· Registered
821 Posts
Could be quite a few things
Low Battery
Poor ground
Bad Starter/belt
Bad spark (dist, plugs, wires)
poor fuel/air flow
old oil

all these come to mind, I'm sure you can eliminate some pretty easily.
5w30 should help starting a bit but if it does it all the time (even with warm starts) then it is probably something else.
I don't think that'll kill your starter though..starters are cheap anyway..no?

BP

· Registered
821 Posts
meh everything is cheap when I have a parts car
$50 used is cheap though
Cheaper is trying to sell stuff to a guy who has no idea what he needs and just made his first post, welcome to the forums btw rdmjr1974
:eek: oh the satire, it flows both ways :D

BP

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I thought the same thing about the bad spark. I replaced my plugs and wires and still did the same thing. New battery as well. Igniter was explained to me as an Ignition control Module. If that didnt work I would think it wouldnt start at all but Im definately going to try it first. A friend of mine said the Fuel pressure regulator but that wouldnt prevent me from starting the car. He said something about keeping the system pressurized while the car is off. I would then assume the fuel pump was bad but if that was the case it wouldnt fire. It fires but it takes 3 seconds everytime, actually I went out and tried it again and its more like 5 seconds. Its very annoying.

· Registered
821 Posts
If you suspect the fuel pump it is easy to test.
I believe the fuel system is always pressurized. Procedure to relieve fuel pressure is to just remove the service bolt from the top of the fuel filter(holding the main bolt underneath). Supposed to be a 6mm, mine took a 12mm socket, you should smell gas right away. you can put a pressure gauge into the hole that bolt comes out of.

Be sure to remove your neg. battery terminal and put a rag under the filter before anything else. I'd keep a fire extinguisher on hand too.
and don't smoke!

BP

· Registered
658 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I suspect it's the pressure regulator.

If I turn the ignition to ON (which lights the gauges but not the starter) and wait for all the humming to stop, it'll fire almost immediately when the key is turned to START. The humming is the fuel pump filling and pressurizing the fuel injector rails.

As long as I don't let it sit long after shut off, it'll fire up almost immediately.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
rdmjr1974 said:
About a year and a half ago my legend got this weird starting problem. No manual or thread in here really describes my problem.

Basically it takes 3 seconds of cranking in order for the car to start, been this way for a long time and Im afraid its going to burn up my starter. No matter what the weather is like or what time of day or how long Ive been driving. Can someone tell me what my issue is?
Corroded battery connections, specially ground can also cause this weird starting problem... have you serviced your battery cables lately? you've mentioned replacing the battery... this is a good starting point as you progress on trouble shoting IMO... ;) good luck!

· Registered
1,693 Posts
slartibartfast said:
Mine does the same thing. I suspect it's the pressure regulator.

If I turn the ignition to ON (which lights the gauges but not the starter) and wait for all the humming to stop, it'll fire almost immediately when the key is turned to START. The humming is the fuel pump filling and pressurizing the fuel injector rails.

As long as I don't let it sit long after shut off, it'll fire up almost immediately.
Mine has been doing this for 2 years, I've tried everything, but cant fix it, I replaced the Regulator no diff, ignitor, dizzy, next is the fuel pump and injectors with performance ones, I bet it goes away :)

· Registered
1,693 Posts
rdmjr1974 said:

Start Damage doesn't happen unless you exceed 30seconds of non-stop cranking and dont let it cool in between cycles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.