Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettin kinda scared. My temp gauge is really trippin'. When I start the car in the morning it's at zero like it should be, then when I drive, it goes up about 2 notches... THEN, when I park and keep the engine running, for like, 1 minute, the needle shoots up to the red line and my fan starts running... help I'm scared, I have no idea as to what the problem could be.

:( :confused: :(

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
The reason the temperature guage goes up while at idle is becuase you have an excessive amount of air in your cooling system. As the air is forced into the cooling system it's colder than the coolant. The air will expand as it heats up causing hot air pockets. At idle pressure in your cooling system is less and these steam pockets can get trapped stopping the flow of anti-freeze. Turn off your engine. If you can't, you're stuck in traffic on a major highway (like I was Friday night for 1.5 hours while I am overheating) rev your engine to build up pressure and force the pocket of steam through. You will have, I would say about 10 -15 seconds once then temp hit's max before damaging something. If reving the engine does not do it, put the car in neutral, shut off the engine and try to roll off the road. Btw, when revving your engine put it in neutral, the is a 4000RPM limiter while in park.

Finally after every trip bring a 12mm socket with ratchet and a rag with you. There is a bleeder bolt, open it up slowly, you should hear air escaping, keep this open holding the rag over it. When antifreeze starts coming out heavily shut it. When coolant pressure drops open the radiator cap and fill the radiator with water and, if necessary, the overflow bottle. This will keep you going until you can get the problem fixed.

If your car has less than 120k miles on it I would say it's the radiator, if it has more I would guess possibly a headgasket leak. Get it checked by a mechanic and keep water with you.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
NickD! I have been living by every word you said for the last couple of months!!

Exactly everything you do is what I have been doing, I can bleed my coolant system with my eyes closed now.

What sucks is lately the 'reving' the engine in neutral to force the pump to push the coolant through hasn't been working much for me. I'm hoping to get something done within 2 weeks. It's such a pain in the a$$!

G

·
Registered
127 Posts
I lived that way for a month or so myself! I finally gave up and just drove my wife's car for a few months until I got my car fixed last week. Anyway, I wanted to add my tips to the mix...

For me, when the "drop her into neutral and gun it" wasn't enough to blow past the air pocket, I found that turning your thermostat all the way to hot (you don't need to turn on the fan) would usually do it. You can hear the water gurgling as it fills the heater core under the dash. For whatever reason, this usually did the trick.

Also, mine used to act up while it was driving, since I usually operate at around 2000-2500 RPM. I found that it happened much less frequently if I drove one gear lower, so that the revs stayed up around 3000 or more.

And for what it's worth (relating to your other thread re: cost), I had basically the same service you were talking about, plus new spark plugs, four new tires (mounted and balanced), a few hundred dollars worth of misc. parts (clear sidemarkers, new roof trim, new pedals, etc.), AND had the heads machined back to flat, and I paid a LOT less than that. Ask around in your town.

G

·
Kinda off-topic but I noticed that NickD said that there is a 4000RPM rev limiter in park. In what legends is this the case? In mine I can bounce off the Rev limiter (7000RPM). I've only done it once and never plan on doing it again ;).

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
haha NickD thats exactly what im doing and have been doing for about a month now,i just slowly, VERY SLOWLY loosen the radiator cap and push very hard on it until antifreeze comes out, also i put antifreeze/water mix in the radiator the night that it over heats or that very next morning. just to trying and keep enough fluid in there (because for some reason my car seems to drink "anni" like gas) to keep the air bubbles at a minimum. i can drive for several days before it overheats then it does and i take action.

FYI: ALWAYS have a bottle of anni or a big bottle of water on hand with a BHG.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
NickD said:
The reason the temperature guage goes up while at idle is becuase you have an excessive amount of air in your cooling system. As the air is forced into the cooling system it's colder than the coolant. The air will expand as it heats up causing hot air pockets. At idle pressure in your cooling system is less and these steam pockets can get trapped stopping the flow of anti-freeze. Turn off your engine. If you can't, you're stuck in traffic on a major highway (like I was Friday night for 1.5 hours while I am overheating) rev your engine to build up pressure and force the pocket of steam through. You will have, I would say about 10 -15 seconds once then temp hit's max before damaging something. If reving the engine does not do it, put the car in neutral, shut off the engine and try to roll off the road. Btw, when revving your engine put it in neutral, the is a 4000RPM limiter while in park.

Finally after every trip bring a 12mm socket with ratchet and a rag with you. There is a bleeder bolt, open it up slowly, you should hear air escaping, keep this open holding the rag over it. When antifreeze starts coming out heavily shut it. When coolant pressure drops open the radiator cap and fill the radiator with water and, if necessary, the overflow bottle. This will keep you going until you can get the problem fixed.

If your car has less than 120k miles on it I would say it's the radiator, if it has more I would guess possibly a headgasket leak. Get it checked by a mechanic and keep water with you.
yep, he may have it. I've heard my acura dealer doing this before for customers. They charge $20 for it. Kinda common I guess.

·
Registered
192 Posts
x3roman did you notice any white steam coming out of the exhaust? or notice any antifreeze leaking? when you drove your car you stated that it went to hot on the temp gauge. Did it stay there, or did it come back down to the middle?

Reason I'm asking is because, my car use to go into H after a while of driving it. When it would hit the hot it would come back down to the middle and go back and forth like that. I have no leaks, dont notice any steam coming out of the exhaust, radiator has fluid as well as the reserve. Hoses seem fine.

I took it to the mechanic who bleeded it and said that was the problem. But I'm wondering if thats just a temporary solution and it'll start to happen again? any one have any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.