Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had the AC on and i was in the BK drive thru, after a few minutes i noticed the air from the AC felt warmer, i immediately looked at my temp guage and it was 3/4 up toward H (hot). so i turned my car off and waited a min for my food, when i had to pull out i turned the car back on and drove off, the temp guage immediately went down, to further help i turned the AC off and put the heater on full blast, i drove home and it never went up again....so what could have caused this??? im about to take it for a spin and see if the guage moves up at all from where it normally sits. theres plenty off coolant, i even have water wetter in there from Redline, i adjusted the timing a month ago and i know its good cause the light went out in the ecu, radiator cap is good.....what do u guys think, thermostat....water pump....radiator?? ill definitely keep my eye on the temp guage everytime im in the car....im guessin if it doesnt go up for the rest of the day sooner or later it might, especially with the AC on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
With car running and when ac is off see if fan is coming on. When your car gets warm the fan should kick off and on. If the fan does not come on it is either fan control module or the temp sensor. I just had to replace my fan control module.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well there are 2 fans so how do i know which one is suppose to be on or off, how do i check if both work??

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
89aCuRa said:
i had the AC on and i was in the BK drive thru, after a few minutes i noticed the air from the AC felt warmer, i immediately looked at my temp guage and it was 3/4 up toward H (hot). so i turned my car off and waited a min for my food, when i had to pull out i turned the car back on and drove off, the temp guage immediately went down, to further help i turned the AC off and put the heater on full blast, i drove home and it never went up again....so what could have caused this??? im about to take it for a spin and see if the guage moves up at all from where it normally sits. theres plenty off coolant, i even have water wetter in there from Redline, i adjusted the timing a month ago and i know its good cause the light went out in the ecu, radiator cap is good.....what do u guys think, thermostat....water pump....radiator?? ill definitely keep my eye on the temp guage everytime im in the car....im guessin if it doesnt go up for the rest of the day sooner or later it might, especially with the AC on.
next time...leave the A/C on & bring your RPM up. most likely, your idle was low & wasnt turning the waterpump fast enough to meet the demand that the car was requiring

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i think ur right cause it hasnt happened since i posted this which was 4 days ago....maybe more, plus right when i did drive off it immediately cooled down. also i do notice than when im sitting in drive and with the ac on the car tends to idle lower. on top of that since i have driven it all week fine i would think ur explanation is correct to go by.......thanks for ur 2 cents, im just so glad it wasnt a bad water pump or thermostat, its been hot as hell here in fla and i would hate to work on my car in this heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Similar thing happened to my car. The only difference was that I noticed the temp gague going up while driving on the freeway with a/c on. The passenger side fan motor was the culprit, along with the leadking radiator and waterpump. I only changed the fan motor and radiator, but the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
89aCuRa said:
I would say that the rise in temperature is caused by either or a combination of both:

1. Insufficient air flow thru the radiator and AC coil in front of the radiator (condenser? evaporator?).

2. Insufficient coolant flow thru the radiator.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i think the hot engine air just didnt get circulated out because of the low idle and hot congested drive thru. both of my fans work and the temp guage hasnt gone up since. im just glad that i noticed the warmer air comin from the ac and glance at my temp guage. i used to have an 87 coupe and one day i was driving down I95 at 85 mph when my water pump jammed and the temp of the car shot up really fast... i noticed a pitter putter which is rare at that cruisin speed so by the time i checked my guages i noticed the temp guage was AT the H. i dunno for how long but ever since then the last thing i wanna do is run this dependable engine hot. how often do u guys glance at ur guages while driving?? i know i glance at mine every time im goin somewhere, its worth checking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have noticed mine going up above 1/2 lately... it drops back down once I start moving. Also, it is only when I have the A/C on and/or I've just come off the freeway. It scares the **** out of me because I don't look to often at the temp. I have to wonder, since most Hondas should probably never go above halfway on the guage, why don't they have a light come on at like 3/4?

·
Hatin the rain already
598 Posts
I just took a drive from las vegas to tucson and my temp was up most of the time. I am attributing it to the hot desert air. It never went into redline but it did get close and held that position for quite a while. I got used to it but it scared me. I did feel better knowing that I had just flushed the radiator fluid. One idea I had was to somehow find a way to add a radiator somewhere on the car. I would then have the only LEGEND DM (Desert Mode). There has to be a way to keep this thing cooler. Oh yeah just added the 15% on all side/back window mirror tint. I also had 40% put on the front window. This has helped the A/C usage immensely. I used to have to have it on high just to keep up with the heat. Now I run it on low and it does fine. Good luck on these legends.
Jeff

·
Registered
104 Posts
slugman and fullstealth, When your cars get hot check if your fan is coming on. Mine was not and I had the same symptoms as you. got a new fan control module at a junkyard and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My temp guage has never gone past the half-way point. That is living in Alabama where it is very hot and humid. If it goes past half-way, I suspect there is a problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
89acura,
with your A/C on both fans should be on all the time. The A/C condenser fan will only stop if the freon in the condenser is below 37 degrees. Your A/C got warm b/c if your water temp raises above 230 degrees the A/C automatically turns off ( also if you go to WOT). You said both your fans are working so i would check for a clogged radiator ( internal as well as external ). My car never goes past below the halfway mark in traffic, not moving, a/c on, 95 ambient, 105 with humidity. I never have to rev my engine to increase water flow either. I would check your radiator's condition and/or the condenser fan operation. Could be an intermediate failure with the fan.

FYI : condenser fan also comes on with the key off and oil temp above 219 degrees for max 30 minutes ( if you drive hard in a hot area make sure your battery is up to snuff )

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the reply NT, where did u get all that technical info? that was really good to know, maybe the radiator is about to give, but ive been keepin an eye on the temp guage and it hasnt risen since that day. so both fans come on when the a/c is on?? ill check that out. i take it the one on the passenger side is the condensor fan...well the cars been running good as usual, so its hard to tell what it is exactly that messed up that day.

·
Registered
308 Posts
89acura,
Technical info can be found in Helms service manual. Both fans should run with the A/C on. The condenser fan has a dual pressure switch relay off below a certain PSI off above a certain PSI and on anywhere in between. Low speed operation is in effect as long as coolant temperature is below 230, high speed should kick in above that ( there's a resistor attached to each of the fans that controls this ). All this info i'm giving you is from memory, you might want to check the helms manual for exact figures.
You are correct, the passenger side fan is the condenser fan. Run the engine, turn the A/C on and you should see both fans operating within 2 minutes of start-up. In any case, as Preventive Maintanence I would flush your radiator and bleed the block to make sure there are no air pockets causing hot spots in the block.

Regards

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a similiar problem on my 86 legend sedan (157k) that I JUST PURCHASED A WEEK AGO!!!!!!.......the temperature gauge is now running at H ....no fluids are leaking so maybe its the thermostat, fan or water pump......hopefully it won't blow up before I can get it checked out....i will check to see if the fans are working properly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts