Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes it happened 2mos. after I made my last payment, my wife wants to merge into the outside left lane (one way street) she looks up into the rearview sees the truck behind her and so she merges while at the same time the truck decides to pass using that outside lane and puts himself right in her blind spot and yes she merges right into him BAAAAAMMMMM!!!!!

Damage: - driverside fender crushed

- front bumper (whole assymbly post and everything)
ripped off on one side from frame (ouchh that may get me)

- Side marker light gone

- Spazio freakin strong wheel man scratch all up but no
bends or cracks/ P7000 no flat but nice chunk of
sidewall got bit out

- Car not driveable / clunk click clunk click when the
wheel is turned from left to right click click click when
the breaks are applied (ouchh that may get me too)

Will the car be totaled? well it depends on the amount of damage of the frame where the bumper was ripped off and what ever damage the impact caused the wheel assymbly or front axle who knows......Please don't salvage my car AAA please. At least I own the car clear and free. My sister is a AAA claims adjuster so she broke it all down to me. So my wife took off today to handle the adjuster stuff so I'm waiting by the phone.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
DAAAAAAYUM...i"m truly sorry to hear that, i fell your pain brother. I hope everything works out for the best.:(

·
Registered
744 Posts
Cheesous - I am glad that you didn't report any physical injuries. Everyone can bet that she was probably traumatized by the whole ordeal.

I am glad to hear that you appear very supportive - cause the last thing someone needs is to hear is... *** happened in anger at the person who was involved in an accident.

UHHGG - from the description, you know she was caught off guard. Dee~am, I'm sorry to hear that another Legend may have to be put out of its misery.

I hope everything works out for the best and its a way you can live with because some people just loose trust after an good (bad) accident.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
815 Posts
:( Reno, man that is so messed up. i just saw your car, i think it was friday and i was like dam i shoulda got me a pearl white legend, it looked so tite. i hope your car is repairable without it being salvaged. Maybe if the mileage is low enough and damage to the frame was minimal if any,
aaa will fix. hope so man, cause it just wouldnt be right. stay up reno, have faith;)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
what's w/ everyone crashing their legends and selling their legends?

:(

·
Registered
216 Posts
I feel your pain - had the same thing happen to me in April -
wife was driving and Bammm!!

My car was a 92L w/300,070 miles that I purchased new - lots of good times. The ins co totaled the car. I was not happy with the ins settlement. We argued for 3 weeks then 1 day out of the blue they upped the offer from $5400 to $9200.

I took the money and bought another Legend (93LS w/93,000)for $9900.

Two months later I'm not even thinking about the "old" legend.

Try to fix it since it is a 95GS - but if you have to walk away - get the best deal you can from AAA then don't look back.

The important thing (as you know) is that your wife is OK.

Unfortunately, Legends come and Legends go!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh - one other thing!

From what you said the truck was originally behind your wife but she hit it with the front of the Legend. I wasn't there but it sounds like some time may have passed between looking in the rearview mirror and pulling out if the truck was able to get that far forward. She also may not have made best use of the side mirror.

A simular situation also happened to me with my wife. In our 91 Max. my wife would (IMHO) drive too close to the car in front of her. When I pointed this out she would say she know's what shes doing and she never had an accident.

Guess what? She rear ended an SUV and totaled the MAX. Then she was all ears. I took her out and we spent some time together going over alot of "road" things which I think are helping her.

I don't know if this would be a good idea for you - but I wanted to throw it out.

Peace

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing with my wife as well. She drives way too close to the car in front, esp on freeways and IMHO, doesn't leave enough braking distance. Haven't gotton into an accident yet *keeping my fingers crossed to stay that way* but still won't listen to me. What can a guy do? *throwing up hands* :confused:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you guys I surely appreciate the support, I feel it was the wifes fault, but hey these things happen, long as everyone is ok I can care less about the car, I got full coverage. I'll just get it fixed or buy another car, this was her first accident so she all shaken up but she's cool, even though she jacked up our car she's still my Qween.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
RenoG said:
Thanks you guys I surely appreciate the support, I feel it was the wifes fault, but hey these things happen, long as everyone is ok I can care less about the car, I got full coverage. I'll just get it fixed or buy another car, this was her first accident so she all shaken up but she's cool, even though she jacked up our car she's still my Qween.
Now that's a good marriage. Good way of looking at it man, good luck, and I hope you get another Legend. =)

·
Registered
216 Posts
dlowrey1972 said:
Same thing with my wife as well. She drives way too close to the car in front, esp on freeways and IMHO, doesn't leave enough braking distance. Haven't gotton into an accident yet *keeping my fingers crossed to stay that way* but still won't listen to me. What can a guy do? *throwing up hands* :confused:
Hey dlowrey - Check This

When my wife was driving tooo close & I pointed it out she would say -- "The Max has great brakes and if the car in front brakes - I can brake faster!! and she told me she had years experience doing it.
I said to her "That's great but now let me tell you how your accident will happen"

I told her that under normal circumstances she may be right but if the car in front of her ever hit the car in front of it and stopped suddenly - she would run right into both cars.

It took 2 years - but it happened just like I told her it would. And since she hit a SUV she could not see what was going on in front of it.
Now she listens - and luckily it only took the loss of a car (Max -didnt like it much anyway) for her to become a better driver.

Dlowrey - Share this story with your wife - it may help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
it builds character?

wow- hope i wasn't part of any trends!

you never know what may come out of it... often times, you may end up better off (and at least your wife may drive a li'l better now... for now...)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Another ack bites the dust... :( hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Double Legend,

Thanks for the story. I'll be sure to tell it to her next time she's tailing too close to the car in front.

But the truth of the matter is, this is the type of thing that people don't really listen to until they've experienced it themselves. I just hope that the car is the only thing that's damaged if it ever happens.

Thanks again,
David

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I was in the same situation with a previous car. Wrecked it 1 week before a show a was sheduled to attend. It was a "border line total". If you want to keep your car, stress that point to the adjuster and all the insurance people involved. See what happens is if your car is "border line" they start considering other factors:

1. Does the car have any aftermarket accessories that helps the cars value?
2. Is it a show car? (Helps value)
3. Stainless steel exhaust (Helps the value)
4. Every time you call in concern the operator WILL note this. Get on their nerves and they will SEE that you really want your car. If they let you keep your car, this is better for the company because you will continue being a paying customer. It is the State Laws that regulate totaling. So they will do the best they can to help you. But they key is to make it clear that you what to keep it. Borderline situations are handled by a panel of insurance claims personel. They sit down in the mornings and go over all of the notes, photos and facts and then base their decisions on that. But if they see that you what your car they start looking at several options that they could use.

1. Aftermarket replacement parts - (Refabricated fender instead of Honda Oem)
2. Genuine Honda parts - (Straight from Honda)
3. Down the Middle - (Certified Salvage Parts - Cheapest way to go)

If your car is borderline they will most likely choose "Down the middle" to keep repair costs down.

Get two other estimates ( if you haven't done so). But not from the most expensive places in town. But from good body people who you or your friends might know. They also will help you because bodyshops and Insurance companys always work together (Bodyshops get most of their income from insurance claims so they will definately try to win-over repairs). I know this stuff from experience and it saved my car from the yards. But if things don't come out in your favor, get all you can out of it and look foward to your next project (thats the fun part). Glad your wife is ok. And remember everything will work itself out. -Peace

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info Ack, what all damage was done to your car?
just to give me an idea what the cost will be. I'm like this if I can't have all OEM replacement parts (done right) I don't want the car.....

Question, since my car isn't driveable how am I suppose to get all these estimates have it towed each time and if so will AAA pay for that or this something to just ask my adjuster.

Next question, taking it to an Acrua dealership, will it matter if goes there first to get it inspected, because I don't know of any repitable shops around here, again I want my car done right no half done job or cutting corners anywhere.

Last question, is it best to go to a shop that the insurance recommends if I don't really know of any one else?

Oh yeah, if they salvage my car, since I own it what will be best, to keep the car and try to sell it/part it out or just let them take it?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
. If you go to a good shop no corners will be cut. Just stress that you want nothing but OEM partsACURA WON'T DO BODYWORK. I'm sure you know SOMEONE who has used a bodyshop and will reccomend for you. AAA should cover all costs for shop to shop for estimates. This will probably cost about 6k.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.