Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Infamous 1991 Type II coupe (pics)...

For those of you that have been following my post, I actually had the chance to go look at the car today. The seller was real nice, I took some pics with my digi cam which I will post tonight along with more details. But if someone could run the Carfax for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks JH4KA817XMC009842

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here ya go..it's got some rollback....

VIN: JH4KA817XMC009842
Year/Make/Model: 1991 ACURA LEGEND LS

Body Style: COUPE
Engine: 3.2L V6 SOHC PFI 24V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Carburetion: FUEL INJECTED
Cylinders: 6
Manufactured in: JAPAN

ALERT! CARFAX search results confirm this 1991 ACURA LEGEND LS (JH4KA817XMC009842) DOES NOT qualify for the CARFAX Clean Title History Guarantee.

CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history to determine if any title documents were designated or marked with the following types of problems:

Problem Titles Checked: Results:
Salvage/Junk Checked - No Salvage/Junk Title Found
Rebuilt/Reconstructed Checked - No Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Found
Flood Damage Checked - No Flood Damage Title Found
Damage Disclosure Checked - No Damage Disclosure Found
Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON) Checked - No Manufacturer Buyback Found
Exceeds Mechanical Limits (EML) Checked - No EML Found
Not Actual Mileage (NAM) Checked - NAM Found

NOTE: Click here for a complete CARFAX Glossary.

ALERT! CARFAX search results on this 1991 ACURA LEGEND LS (JH4KA817XMC009842) identify a potential odometer rollback. CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's reported odometer readings to determine if any reading is less than a previously reported reading.

CALCULATION: POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK

On 11/07/1995 the odometer reading was reported as: 84,416 miles
On 06/26/1999 the odometer reading was reported as: 68,280 miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This represents a mileage decrease of: 16,136 miles

NOTE: Information supplied to CARFAX indicates the above odometer readings may not reflect this vehicle's actual mileage. CARFAX depends on its sources to provide reliable information and works diligently to ensure the quality of its Reports. In this case, we recommend you contact the seller or a qualified mechanic to verify this vehicle's actual mileage.

GOOD NEWS! CARFAX search results on this 1991 ACURA LEGEND LS (JH4KA817XMC009842) did not uncover any of the following problems:

Problems Checked: Results:
Accident Checked - No Accident Record Found
Salvage Auction Checked - No Salvage Auction Record Found
Failed Emissions Inspection Checked - No Failed Emissions Record Found
Fire Damage Checked - No Fire Damage Record Found
Crash Test Vehicle Checked - No Crash Test Vehicle Record Found
Grey Market Vehicle Checked - No Grey Market Vehicle Record Found

CARFAX search results on this 1991 ACURA LEGEND LS (JH4KA817XMC009842) identify the types of state motor vehicle department registrations, other than private, that appear in this vehicle's history.

Registrations Checked: Results:
Lease Checked - No Lease Registration Found
Rental Checked - No Rental Registration Found
Government Checked - No Government Registration Found
Taxi Checked - No Taxi Registration Found
Fleet Checked - No Fleet Registration Found
Commercial Checked - No Commercial Registration Found
Non-Profit Checked - No Non-Profit Registration Found

The CARFAX database contains a total of 9 vehicle history records on this 1991 ACURA LEGEND LS (JH4KA817XMC009842):

DATE
REPORTED ODOMETER
READING INFORMATION
SOURCE GENERAL
COMMENTS
02/20/1992 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lanham, MD
Title #21091714
Title or registration issued

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/25/1995 71,000 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Greenbelt, MD
Title #24501540

09/12/1995 84,097 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Arlington, VA
Title #83126287

11/07/1995 84,416 Maryland
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Capitol Heights, MD
Title #24925075
First lien reported

04/01/1999 D.C.
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Washington, DC
Title #K360192

06/26/1999 68,642 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Arlington, VA
Title #64738416

06/26/1999 68,280 Virginia
Inspection Station
Arlington, VA
Passed emissions inspection
POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK

07/27/1999 68,800 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Chantilly, VA
Title #70704645

02/02/2001 108,100 Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Arlington, VA
Title #73735785
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED

Comment Definitions

Odometer Rollback If a more recent odometer reading is less than an older reading, then the odometer may have been "rolled back."
Unreliable Odometer (Not Actual Mileage) When the seller certifies, under the Truth in Mileage Act, that the odometer reading is NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE. This may occur because the disclosed odometer reading was not accurate and verifiable.
NOTES:

Click here for a complete CARFAX Glossary.

You have significantly reduced your risk of purchasing a vehicle with a hidden problem. However, CARFAX has not inspected this vehicle. There could be other potential problems with this vehicle that have not been reported to CARFAX.

Not all titles issued represent a change in vehicle ownership. For example, a title could be issued to reflect an address change or correction.

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
odomoter roll back, huh !!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
maybe the engine blew sometime between 95 and 99 , and the owner replaced it with a TypeII engine. Since he went from TypeI to TypeII, naturally he has to swap the gauge pod with a TypeII 160mph gauge pod. Hence the Not Actual Mileage part.

It could be legit, if it is, ask the seller for the paper on the new engine and see how many miles it actually has on the engine. Then you can pretty much low ball him with a really low price because of the NAM, Not original engine and other stuff.

Good luck

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
wow, alot of odometer rollback on that one. I wouldn't get it if I were you. I'd just wait and try to get another Legend.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks AJB for the Carfax! So maybe it does have rollback, but I now know for sure this a 1991 Legend Coupe LS with a Type II engine, 6-speed, and 109k. How possible is this? I dont know, but is it worth it? Take a look at the pics and see for yourself. It needs some TLC, a good tuneup as I noticed from the rough idle. Also, a driver side power seat motor, passenger side door latch, a full detail with interior shampoo, exterior buffing, engine cleaning. Hmm, also told me it was stolen once, and they jacked the CD changer. Its in dire need of front bodywork (paint chips, lights unaligned, cracked front lower bumper). There are some rips in the front dashboard. So after that, what do you think I should offer him, he said he is willing to negotiate with someone who can write out the check and take it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thsi is the front, notice the chips on the hood, cracks in the bumper, and the right headlight not aligned. Oh, and the hood is popped open, no damage there.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last pic, this is the money shot. A Type II in a 91 coupe. Can anyone confirm, sorry, but i didnt get any close ups. Thanks

Attachments

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
What this car proves is that a 6-Speed swap and TYPE II swap is very posible. I know many have already done the TYPE II swap, but now we know the 6-Speed will go into a 5-Speed car. Anyway, I'm a bit worried about this car. This car has been totally modified to look like a 94-95. It has the 94-95 trunk, and front end. Now he did say it was stolen, so maybe they stripped the whole car down so it was an opportunity to upgrape the parts. Eitehr way, it is a TYPE II, but that car is a very mix match car. If you get this car, make sure it runs really well and that youplan on keeping this car for yourself. I doubt you will be able to sell this car to any other knowledgable Legend potential buyer. However, if the car runs good and the motor is okay, and everything works well like the TCS and the 160 MPH speedo, then it may be a worth while car to buy as it alrady has the much wanted TYPE II/6Speed swap. The odomter problem is probably a result of the TYPE II 6-Speed swap. I figure he needed to put in a TYPE II speedometer, so the mileage would not be the same. Just check this car out very carefully before you decide. A car like this would depreciate, and not hold a premium, so pay accordingly of you buy it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Man, I would not offer more than $3,000 for it. Body damage, interior troubles and a rough idle......sounds like a bad deal to me. Also, about the TCS, I am not too familiar with the type II motor, but the intake setup on that car looks like my type I, can someone verify this?? Does this one have TCS? If it does not, I would guess that is not important anyway. Check the front clip for frame damage, that whack headlight concerns me.

G

·
Look at that paint job. The car looks like it was painted at Maaco :p :rolleyes:. The painted fog light covers and front lower grill looks real tacky. I woudn't even want to worry about the hassles that may come along with that car. As tempting as a 6 speed coupe is, I'd pass this one up and wait for another one, unless you get an amazingly good deal on it.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
That's a tough call.

I think, this was a TypeII swap, and 6-speed full swap. I also think they probably changed the speedometer to a 160MPH from a 140MPH one (which would explain the different in mileage). Find out if the ECU has been changed. Check EVERYTHING, drive it hear it, possibly get it checked out by a mechanic, if possible. You don't want to buy a lemon. Again, make sure that it is what you REALLY want. How much was he asking again?

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
be careful...you do not know who jerry-rigged this car...I would walk away unless he will sell it to you for $3500 - $4500 MAX...only because you do not know what has been done to it....where the motor came from, how well the swap was done, etc....does it have all papers?

I am glad to know a 5 -> 6 is possible, but an auto to 6 is whats next on my list. Like Chris , Future and everyone else says, tread softly..it may have been dogged out...and a clutch for that car, 90k service, OMG..so many negotiating points.

Anyway, only buy a car like that from me or someone who appreciates LEgends ;)

G

·
Yeah pass this one up bro unless you can get it for dirt cheap.. Like 3K-4K... Cause then if you really dont like it you can sell the parts and get all + some of your money back.. ex. rims, trunk, hood, lights, LS wood.. the parts alone would benifit you $$$..:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
yeah, i definitely would not offer much for it, 3000 or 3500 max, cuz this car has definitely been messed with. the odometer rollback itself is enough concern not to buy the car or have second thoughts, because who knows how many times it was rolled back or how much this car really has on it...what you do know is that in 1995 it had 84000 and in 1999 it had 68000 miles. look at it this way: it was inspected in 1995 and had 84000 and in those four years before next inspection it could have reched 190,000 miles and rolled back in time for inspection. YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING. I wouldn't buy it now that i think about it. because it DEFINITELY IS NOT only a rollback of 16000 miles like carfax says, cuz that's simply when it was inspected...this car sounds too fishy and do not invest much into it.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Dude, just look at all those quick title transfers. Now why are people selling the car after just a few months.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I am sure that one is missing it's TCS. I wonder what else was left out!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts