Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, This is my question. I have a 1990 Sedan ok? Now, There is a place for the fog lights to go, (I dont have any), what I wanna know is, If I take the opened end of the air inlet tube, and place it were the driver side fog light hole is, and allow air to get in it that way, would I get any better performance??

I have regular air stuff... Shoot, I have regular everything under the hood.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, warm that fast huh??:(

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but will I just be wasting my time
Or will it make a difference at all in performance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cold Air Intake

It's funny that you posted that question, because just last week I was thinking about the same thing. I've given it a lot of thought (you probably have too), but I see some possible problems with the setup. That fog light opening isn't very far off the ground, I imagine this could really be a problem with road debris. Imagine yourself driving behind a semi in the rain........ that opening would be getting pelted with water, dirt, pebbles, etc. It might spell bad news. You'd have to very peticular about setting up a filter to block all that stuff out, and cleaning it regularly. You'll probably also need to drill some small releif holes in the tubing near the opening to drain any water that may make its way in the opening. But if you can figure out a way around that issue, it should work great. The other question is where would you mount your air filter? Would you use the factory box setup (arghh)? Definately post a comment if you go through with it, I'd like to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right, I have been giving it some thought, and probably the same things you brought up about the debree and rain also. Unfortunately, I dont have a solution about the rain but I was thinking about a mesh grill type thing over the opening to prevent object and stuff (hopefully that helps) and I was going to use the same set up that is already there, just moving the inlet tube to the fog light area. But water may be a big issue huh??

·
Registered
133 Posts
what type of performance are you trying to pick up?

·
Registered
885 Posts
ok. here's the thing. i've tried it and you would have 2 take the factory air box and that is a pain. then you would have 2 kill yourself trying to make it all work. take it from experience, it is really a hard job but if u want the cold air then sure go for it and it should b worth it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stpidhoser said:
ok. here's the thing. i've tried it and you would have 2 take the factory air box and that is a pain. then you would have 2 kill yourself trying to make it all work. take it from experience, it is really a hard job but if u want the cold air then sure go for it and it should b worth it.
It's worth it
did it make a difference in performance or gas or something
. Thats what Im looking for, a little performance and maybe alittle gas saving. I was going to try and buy a tube thats flexible instead of using the inlet tube, so I can bend it towards the fog light area. performance wise, what did you get

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
stpidhoser said:
all you need is a 10mm socket & a phillips....it doesnt get much easier than that bro

·
Registered
689 Posts
So far, I've done the classic "remove the air box, leave the first section of stoke intake hose, attach a air duct elbow to a cone filter, mounted in the original stock box location".

To get at the second air box (below the driver's side headlight), do you have to remove the front bumper or just the driver's side front wheel? I'm having a hard time just yanking at the tubing, and don't want to resort to my razor blade to get it out (unless I have to). Eventually I want to run a hose down there with a filter inside the box or run up a hose from that location to direct cooler air towards the cone filter (in it's current location that I have it in).

Another thought: putting the filter right behind (and to the right/driver's side) the air conditioning fan DOES allow more outside air to flow over the filter, right? I was just thinking it must help a little...

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
legendHI said:
So far, I've done the classic "remove the air box, leave the first section of stoke intake hose, attach a air duct elbow to a cone filter, mounted in the original stock box location".

To get at the second air box (below the driver's side headlight), do you have to remove the front bumper or just the driver's side front wheel? I'm having a hard time just yanking at the tubing, and don't want to resort to my razor blade to get it out (unless I have to). Eventually I want to run a hose down there with a filter inside the box or run up a hose from that location to direct cooler air towards the cone filter (in it's current location that I have it in).

Another thought: putting the filter right behind (and to the right/driver's side) the air conditioning fan DOES allow more outside air to flow over the filter, right? I was just thinking it must help a little...
10 mm socket..remove the farthest 2 bolts that attach the bottom lip to the bumper (Under the car) & theres 2 inside the wheel well...once those are off. the front fender liner can pivot & you'll have access to the 'other' box.

prolly have an easier time doing it if the car is in the air & your wheel is off or turned to the far left.

btw..mounting it directly behind the fan is just bombarding the intake with 'just' radiated heat.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didnt know there were two air boxes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
thanks. I'll have to investigate this...

mr. smith- the first air box holds the stock filter, the second "air box" is where part of the stock intake hose sucks in air. try following the path of the stock hose and you'll see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Boys and girls....open up your hood...see that indentation just above the battery? yeah...that one...move that nasty battery into the trunk, next to your deep cycle one...for the amps that you need for that radio your wife/husband is gonna divorce you over...and cut a hole and install a hood scoop backwards...so the air can actually get in the darn thing...making sure that the water seal is in place...then run that flexable hose to the air cleaner that you tucked so very carefully where the battery used to be! You did use the bracket that used to hold some of the wires of that battery to hold the seal for your hood scoop opening...didn't you? I knew you could! Now...doesn't that look swell...and until you can afford that extra $4200 to turbo the beast for real...well...you can scare the heck out of the kid behind the counter at the 7-11! peace out:eek2:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:2cool:

took you 2 years to say all that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.