Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I've been lucky enough to find someone (family thank god) selling a 1990 Acura Legend LS Sedan (Gold ext, brown cloth int) with 117,000. I'm thinking about buying the car and though everything is in MINT! i'm worried that because the car is so old that after i purchase it and bring it to NY (the cars is currently in a PA suburb) that i might have problems. Trust me, the last thing i need is another lemon. The asking price is $4300 and the ext has a brand new paint job, interior looks brand new and the engine is clean as a whistle. Is there anything i should be looking for to help ease the worry. All i keep thinking is the 18" chrome ris i wanna put on as soon as i get iy. Also, cananyone suggest any after market parts that i can add to help increase the cars life span. All thought and comments are appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I ran carfax and the car has had 2 owners. The report came back clean

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thats a pretty good price for that car. I got my '90 LS coupe about a year ago for $3500. The interior is a lil worn on the front seats but no tears. I would watch out for a couple of things tho...
I had to replace my whole AC system bc it had a lot of leaks. Also I would check the CV boots as well. It would be a good thing to check if the timing belt was replaced as well.
As far as mods there aren't many that will extend the life of your car. Better spark plugs, wires, and oil will help. Also, just replacing things won't hurt anything(muffler, cat, intake). I would first focus on restoring lost power. If you do any major mods(turbo/super/NOS) then your engine life will be slightly shortened.
Good luck with your car though. With new paint and a good cloth interior it sounds like a nice car. Low miles too.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have a 1990 LS and its running like the running man (cant be stopped) 129,000 miles on it. If your going to buy it, ask them if you could take it to the dealers to get it checked out, I mean, if your going on a long trip and all. that way you will know whats wrong before long.

By the way, I never saw an LS with cloth seats, I want cloth seats.:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
BUYING AN LS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

First off let just say congrats on your soon to be purchase. I'm sure you and your legend will have loads of fun. Another thing ALL LS MODELS HAVE LEATHER SEATS NOT CLOTH. From what you are describing of the car it seems to me that your family member took very good care of it. They should have some service receipts to show that the car was well maintained or you can take it to the dealer and have them give it the once over. Peace and Blrssings. Bigs out.:)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sounds pretty good my mom's boyfriend bought a 1990 LS a few months agoand he paid $3500, but the leather is not that great in the front, it had 153000 miles and only the front speakers work,so yur deal sounds good.

Oh one more thing about 2 weeks ago the radiator on the car blew out I couldn't believe he paid that much but oh well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
MR Smith, Why would you want cloth seats? Just bc of the wear? If leather is in ok condition then it will feel soo much better than cloth. Leather doesn't grab your clothes like cloth, so you can always fit situated instead of figity. Just take good care of leather and it will treat you well.
But yeah, it's prolly not the LS with cloth interior unless he got them changed them out(which is possible with somebody willing to repaint the whole car).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
firestorm said:
MR Smith, Why would you want cloth seats? Just bc of the wear? If leather is in ok condition then it will feel soo much better than cloth.
I bought my LS a cup of years ago and its great. but the seats look like they have been in war or somthing, I got seat covers, covering them up. One of my head rests are like , a pit bull has chewed it or somthing . aghh , the seats are just bad, let me tell you. I also had an 1986 legend with about 156,000 when I sold it for 1,800. And it had the nicest cloth seats. I wish I would have taken the seats out of the 86 and put them in my 90, but I didnt know how.. :) but the reason I want cloth is, when the kids get in , in the summer time. they start doing it with the air, because the seats are so hot.

·
Registered
602 Posts
hmm... I see what you are saying. For me, tint solves the leather being hot problem. And, my leather was kept up pretty well. I would rather have cloth seats than seat covers also. But, when leather is maintained, it looks a lot nicer and after driving all day I think you would prefer the leather.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
As for me, I'm pretty happy with my cloth seats. My interior isn't as hot as some of the cars w/ leather (but then it's all relitive). Would I not mind leather? Not at all, I'll even welcome it. Do I want lether at this moment in time, no.

That car sounds great. Just with all cars I look at that's used (even my mom's 2001 Accord w/ only 10k miles), get it a major tune up. The previous owner might have loved the car to death and babied it, but you know when people are trying to sell things get to be, ya kno.

·
Registered
282 Posts
be sure to check the tranny for any sounds

http://brian.spacey.net/acura/legend.html

Make sure you inspect every gear is shift ing and accelerating silently -
I had a nightmare situation with buying a 90 ls from a guy in South Florida where he had romped the car - put super thick fluid in the transmission and then I drove it and bought it-

After I got it home- and took it to have all the fluids flushed and replaced - the destoryed transmission rared its ugly head -

super loud in all gears when accelerating- spun bearing -

So $2000 later here i am -with a car that runs good and shifts like new- but and empty wallet

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go For It

Congrads on your soon-to-be LS!

I'm looking at what you guys paid for your cars and I'm thinking I got an awesome deal. I live in Atlanta and Legends are really popular here. Anyways, I had been looking for a 90 Sedan 5-speed for so ages. The problem was either they wanted too much or the condition was horrible.

One day, I'm at the Waffle House and the exact car I had been looking for drove up. It was a Black(hard to find:cool: ), 1990 Sedan LS. ............5-speed! I really couldn't believe b/c I had been looking for this EXACT car for about a year. And when I asked if he would sell it to me, he said that he didn't want the car anymore b/c he was going to purchase an '03 CL.
So by now, I'm about to piss myself w/excitement. I kept cool, looked over the car and asked for a test drive. The paint on the car is very good. The only thing I have to do is paint the hood(which is new) and replace the headlights. I go for a test drive. The car can fly. He told me he had a sports clutch installed and trust me, you can tell. Everything from the power seats, memory seats, trip computer, ac, bose radio works fine! The car has 125K and some change. Guess what I got the car for..............$2500 :p

Couldn't believe it! And the best thing is, he is letting me make payments on the car (struggling Georgia Tech grad student:) )I don't have the car yet, but I can drive the car anytime I want.

Just wanted to share that story b/c I still can't believe it.
Anyways, get the car and congrads.

p.s. is it a auto or manual?? Get a manual if you can be patient b/c its worth it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
cool story-
but you really should get that title in your hands- not to be risky -but your friend could just dissapear and you get nothing-

Anyhow- that is a great deal - how is the a/c?
any pictures?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The a/c blows cold! Believe me, thats the first thing I checked being in Atlanta and not having an a/c in my current car:D

but yeah, about the title, we drew up a contract and had two people sign as witnesses. That was good enough for me.

I will try and get pics when I purchase it straight out. Trust me, I will let u guys know when i get my feet on the pedal. I'm sure my girlfriend is tired of me talking to her about my favorite car :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts