Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I changed mine about two months ago- I just got a stock clutch set from a-h .com for $260. I was thinking about getting the stage II aftermarket one but it was about $400 (i think it was clutchmaster) , so I basically got cheap and got the stock one.

Esti

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends on how you like your clutch. Have always been a huge centerforce fan, but that is a $400 clutch kit even if you do it yourself. You can pickup a stock replacement for less than $200 - PowerTorque, Beck/Arnley - lots o brands to choose from.

Speaking of clutches, the clutch in my Legend is quite heavy compared to most modern clutches - much more so than my wife's Civic, my pickup truck or my RX7 clutch. Folks who have multiple standard cars, how does your clutch feel compare to the other vehicles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Clutches

Actually man, my feels a lot lighter. In fact its probably the lightest I've ever felt. My truck is considerably tougher to push and I used to drive big rigs and well no comparison there. Probably the toughest of the tough.:)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Clutch pedal feel / bleeding the clutch master cylinder

The clutch on my 95 LS 6spd Coupe began feeling a bit hard / stiff more so by the years. I did decide to bleed the clutch mastercylinder and was surprised that the fuild looked like engine oil after 10k without being changed.

Anyways, my clutch pedal feels smooth and much better than before the maintenance.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
270 Posts
Clutch fluid

Should be changing the brake and clutch fluid at least once every 2 years so it doesn't lok like engine oil!!! dirty clutch fluid is the downfall to rubber seals !!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I will have to keep that in mind.

I wish that I had that special T tool to bleed the ABS. So far, all I have done was syphoned the fluid out of the ABS basket. I'm still shaking my head, just thinking about how black my clutch fluid was. Won't happen again, I'll tell you that. Bleeding the clutch wasn't the easiest maintenance I've ever accomplished either.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nope... never the easiest thing, but if you use a turkey baster to get the fluid out of the reservoir, and keep on it, it generally stays pretty clean...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here something funny

cdndvl

I was under the car with my skirt pumping the clutch, fluid was traveling up the hose, when all of a sudden I heard a thud. My skirt tells me... "Now what, the clutch is stuck to the floor!"

Sure enough, the clutch did stick to the floor and would not regain pressure until I waited maybe 15 minutes and slowly pulled and pushed on the clutch.

I'm so glad I didn't F things up for real.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
270 Posts
Best way to do that on the clutch would be to have your skirt keep the reservoir fairly full and be underneath with a vaccuum pump... They aren't too much (around 35 dollars) and you suck the fluid into a cup that is part of the vaccuum unit. You suck the old stuff out and add new fluid so you don't run it dry again !!!

I'm not sure if you can do it on the ABS system that way... I think you can, but it won't change the fluid in the ABS reservoir, but I'd ask at a dealer to make sure... I had my master cylinder replaced at the dealer so I didn't screw up the ABS !!

·
Registered
744 Posts
You know, it never dawned on me to either buy a pump or create one myself. I think i will do make one. Damn, what a pain it was to keep saying (pump and hold or again, etc, over and over) for each wheel and the clutch. ****E - I will not do that again. Lessons learned.

Thanks for the suggestion!

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
clutch Labor

The Shop told me a clutch job without parts for 7 hours was $500 ish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts