Acura Legend Forum banner

Thinking of cutting out the catalytic converter? Advice? Opinion?

9K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  LegendLuxury205 
#1 ·
I am thinking about cutting out the catalytic converter out of my car. I could really care less about the emissions, since I have friends who own an inspection shop and that won't be a problem. I am wondering about the oxygen sensor that is located after the catalytic converter? How will cutting it out affect the sensor? What advice/opinions do you have? I am hoping to get some more power and mpg out of this, since it doesn't cost me anything.

#2 ·
There's a way to get around the O2 sensor, it's called a simulator. I wouldn't do it though because gains would be minimal if any. Mild to highly tuned motors benefit most from a test pipe. There might also be a fine if you get busted without a cat. conv., it's like $600 or so here in VA.

#9 ·
It will barily help with power by removing it so the sound is NOT worth it. Instead, take it off, inside there will be a restrictive metal filling that looks like a honeycomb, depending on the mileage of the cat it'll most likely be melted to hell so rip all of it out. This will take some elbow grease and patience but once cleared out and re-installed you'll still have a "cat" to the inspector, 1-3 FREE horseys and best of all it sounds like sex.... :D

On the other hand, you can install a high flow cat, but the other way is free :2cool:

#13 ·
im not a hippie or anything and i wont lie i leave lights on and occasionally litter....but thats everyone's air that you're polluting...people dont think its a big deal but trust me there are a LOT of cars out there running no cats and because of this the hole in the ozone gets bigger and bigger. you think "one car" wont make a difference but it really does...please just get a high flow cat...you'll get similar horsepower gains and you wont ruin everyone else's air

#15 ·
15 years ago I smog tested a used car that I had just purchased. At that time they issued a smog waiver as the owner had stripped off the cat. Because the laws were changing, and I knew it wouldn't be exempted again, I replaced the missing parts. Then I smogged it again for my own satisfaction. Whoa - when the smog was defeated the amount of smog was 8 times higher than when in place. That is like 7 more cars. Now, it would be like 15 because the cars are so clean with smog gear. But the surprising thing was that the HP didn't barely change. I made the decision that since this was a street car and not purely a track car, that I would be acting like a 3 year old to take the smog gear off any car with that kind of damage to the environment and others. Besides, in some states it is a $10,000 fine and felony to get caught being the party guilty of removing the smog gear from an on-road car and driving it on a public street. (less if driving a car someone else has removed it from.)

#16 ·
onemanchan82 said:
ya over there tripping over our 6 banger when there suv out there burning up 12mpg... lol.... and were not talking but those big o trucks, shiet!
Stop being a poor, ignorant fool.
A SUV with emission equipment spews out far less noxious gasses,
and other detrimental byproducts than our "6 banger"[sic] without emission equipment.

k.

#17 ·
i totally agree...

Hi-flow catalytic converter or stock catalytic converter. you're a jackass if you think one car doesn't make a difference. you're killin my children's enviroment.

Im far from a tree hugger, and not even close to a hippie, but damn homie. as a car enthusiast you should atleast care about the new generation of car enthusiasts.

just put a hi-flow on if you want 2hp it that bad.

and if you didn't know, yes, taking out the catalyst amalgamates a bunch of unpleasant frequencies which in turn cause a ratty-tatty-blatty exhaust note...similar to the Johnny Trans S2000 in The Fast and The Furious. My friends MX6 did this when he replaced his catalyst with a "resonator." sounded like ass.

#20 ·
If you take it off it wont do anything to the 02 sensor, or your car, it just mess's up the environment.. Trust me they smell rancid when they are off, like sulfur and eggs.. Your lucky tho, my cat fell off, like it must have broke around the welds on the back bolts or something, for a day it was draggin on the floor, it was horrible. Luckily i got a cat when i bought my car for free, went to walts and got it installed for $80. But right now my Legends out of comission ) : I bent the subframe, broke the axle, tie rod, control arm, and i curbed out soo bad that i broke the rim.. $1,500 to fix.. I only payed $1,500 for it, it had 72k miles, i spent 2k fixing 7 problems that were wrong with it, but shes still my baby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.